New Beginning

The air was misty and smelt of rain. The nerves were kicking in and my heart was racing fast. I was just about to turn over a new chapter of my life. I walked up the drive, a port in each hand; I looked up and was immediately mesmerised by the grey stone building. I walked up the stone stairs, careful not to trip. I cautiously placed down each bag, I drew in a deep breath and closed my eyes. My reasons for being here flashed before my eyes.

Moments, memories, misery. I remembered back to my wedding day. I remembered how happy I was to be marrying John. Later that year I fell pregnant. But one day I woke up with the worst back pain. John was nowhere to be seen; I called for him. “John! John! Please come; John” I staggered, fear was surrounding me. Somehow I pulled myself up and stumbled to the kitchen. The moment I entered I knew something wasn’t right. I saw the newspaper, the morning’s headlines read, ‘World War One – Conscription.’ My eyes glanced sideways and caught sight of the note on the table. I reached for it, tears were swelling in my eyes. It read.

Dear Sarah,
I did not want to wake you this morning as you looked so peaceful. Unfortunately I may never see you again. The Government has made a decision to enforce conscription. I have packed all of my things. By the time you read this I will be gone. I hope to see you and our new baby shortly. I love you with all of my heart.
Your beloved husband,
John

I placed down the note. Tears were streaming down my face, a lump of fear, was swelling in my throat. I knew I would never see my beloved John again. He was not built to face the toughness of War. Suddenly my waters broke and I screamed. I heard someone’s footsteps I gasped, could it be John? The door burst open. Susan my neighbour galloped in. She had heard my screaming. About half an hour later the baby arrived. But I knew something wasn’t right. I heard no cries of a new born baby. I looked at Susan who had tears streaming down her cheeks. She handed me my baby girl. She wasn’t alive. At the very moment my heart had been torn in two. I didn’t know how I was going to live the rest of my life. Without my beloved husband and with no baby.

I opened my eyes and came back to the present. I didn’t want to go back over the past. I did not want to remind myself of the grief. All I wanted was to turn over a new chapter. I placed my hand on the knocker “Here I go,” I said to myself and knocked three times. I was greeted by Archibald and Lilias Craven. I smiled at them, picked up my bags and walked inside.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!