That Sense

I wake. I don’t even know how long I’ve slept for. Could’ve been years.
I’m in bed in an unfamiliar room. My limbs are sore, my breathing difficult.
The door creaks slightly. A lady, maybe in her mid-forties, approaches, seeing me awake.
“Sorry, I didn’t mean to disturb you,” she says. “I’m Sara. You don’t need anything, do you?”
I just shake my head. I can’t find my voice.
“Well, you just sing out if you do,” she responds. Then she leaves. If I could speak, I probably would’ve asked where I was, or what I was doing here. I can’t remember anything.
Not even my own identity.

Over the next two days, I remain in bed, and Sara brings me meals. I learn that she is a nurse, and she and her husband, Rob, have 6 children who often come and tell me stories, and they live in a three-storey house. The two oldest, Ben and Liana, helped me to speak again. I asked the youngest, Natalie, how old she thought I was, and she answered twelve.
I wonder what happened to my parents. I wonder if I still have them. What happened to my memory? So many questions unanswered.
The third day I get up and wander around the house. It’s a weekday, and now the house feels vacant, almost depressing. A recognizable stab shoots through me. I have a flashback of a time long, long ago, in a place far, far away. I’m lying on my bed, the curtains drawn. Someone in the next room is sobbing. Is it… my mother?
I return to reality, my breathing rapid, and race to the kitchen. “I need to get outside.” I tell Sara brusquely. She nods without question.
I shuffle into the first pair of boots and a coat that I see, fling open the door, and, for the first time in days I step outside.

The iciness hits me straight away. Still, I gallantly march down the road even though I’m unsure myself of where I’m going. I stumble along until I come to a park. I remember this park. Another flashback. My mother used to take me here all the time, like when she told me… what was it? Something important, life-changing even. Maybe it was the reason I’m in this mess in the first place.

The next day Sara asks me if I want to go with her to the hospital. I answer yes, seeing it as a good chance to get out of the house. Besides, if hospitals make people better, they can’t be bad. How wrong I was.

The second I walk in, the smell hits me. I freeze. My memory comes back, clear and sharp. My parents were diagnosed with cancer. They both passed away. I suffered depression so strong that I…
A scream escapes me. My vision goes blank. I collapse on the floor, wishing I could join them.
I had lost my memory because I had attempted to commit suicide.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!