Darkness At The Lighthouse

I bought a ticket to take the lift to the top of the lighthouse. As the doors of the elevator closed, I heard the sound of a rusty lever being pulled.
I froze and wondered where the sound was coming from. As I put my ear to the door of the elevator, I could hear the sound echoing through the walls. The elevator stopped and the doors yawned open. I stepped hesitatingly out into the dark, salty gloominess. I could hear the waves crashing against the sharp rocks and the wind was blowing through my hair. The wooden floor creaked as I walked towards a rusty lantern flickering in the dark.
As I grabbed the lantern, footsteps began to echo past the lighthouse. I quickly decided to follow them. I held my lantern up high and heard the sound of an old door being heaved open, I acted fast and caught the door before it shut. As I walked into the room, I heard the door slam shut behind me.
Entering the room I looked up and saw curtains of cobwebs draping from the celling. I turned around and looked to my left and saw the rusty lever with a note.
The floor creaked as my foot stepped heavily onto the wooden floor. The note was in my sight I was eager to grab it, when suddenly someone came charging in. I hid behind a table and a chair. I peered around and saw a man standing in front of the note, his hand was reaching for the lever. He pulled it and in the blink of an eye, he was gone. I got up and read the note over and over until I finally got it.
It was written in very old writing and it had faded over time. The note made it certainly tempting to pull the lever. I decided to pull it I could feel myself being transported somewhere. As soon as I opened my eyes, I was at the top of the lighthouse in front of the elevator. I had no explanation were I was until I saw a ghost glide past me. The ghost was holding an emerald quill and a piece of torn paper. It winked as it slowly drifted pass.
Suddenly the ghost disappeared and the emerald green quill and the torn piece of paper were lying on the wooden floor. I picked up the quill and as soon as my hand touched it, I knew it was enchanted.
I suddenly shot up into the cold air and began drifting towards the edge of the lighthouse where i was suddenly dropped. I managed to grab onto a railing. My hands were slipping I looked around and saw a knotted rope on my left. I reached out, stretching as far as I could. Despite my best efforts, it was futile I could not reach...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!