Race Mare

Race Mare

I push down on the kick-start with all my might. A ferocious scream roars from the muffler. I slowly pull the clutch in and shift into first gear, then second. 15 seconds to go. I pull the throttle to halve way, 39 other two-stroke racers do the same. I remember the other race, the one that put me off riding, the one that broke my collar bone. But I’ve worked hard to get where I am, this is my heart, soul, life.

5 seconds. I put on more throttle. 3, 2, 1. They fall. I dump the clutch quickly, flying off down the start strait. Into the first corner and then power through a sand section. Coming up to a double and play a huge whip that brings me over it quickly and places me in 5th. Speeding towards a tabletop and just manage to pull a scrub over it, landing a bit ruff. I rip through a loamy berm leaving a deep rut. I pass two riders on a flat area putting me in 3rd, still not good enough.

I race towards a towering hill, trying to maintain my position. It launches me into the air and I land perfectly. I pass second and first. Heading toward the finish line. I spring across the finish line. But it swallows me. I’m falling. Into a black pit.

I’ve got to get out. See my family. Something drops. I walk over to see what it is. I unzip the bag it’s in. I reach inside. I feel a hand. I reach onto my helmet and take off my go-pro. I shine its light into the bag, it’s a dead body! I shine it around to see I’m surrounded by them! I start falling through the ground. I’m fading! Disappearing! I pull myself out of it. I sit up sweating, in my bed. Birds are chirping tweeting. The sun is shining. I’m thinking. Thank god that was only a dream, a night mare, a race mare!

By Kade Buntine

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!