Man Versus Beast

In days older than history, a boy named Lachlan searched the plains of a long lost city, gone from from memory. With him, he carried a sack of gold coins that clinked with every step and a coil of rope that he slung over his shoulder. Whenever someone would ask what he was doing with such equipment, they would all get the same reply, "I'm going to kill a dragon.” Reactions varied from person to person, sometimes they would scold him, sometimes they would laugh at him, but today, he was going to do it.
Lachlan stood at the entrance of a very dark cave, according to a farmer, this is where the dragon lived. Slowly, one foot after another, Lachlan made his way into the cave. Soon, Lachlan was completely engulfed by absolute darkness, although, Lachlan still headed deeper into the cave. Eventually, Lachlan came to a lit up area, he followed the light source until he came to a mound of glittering gold, on top of it was a dragon, deep in slumber.
Up close, Lachlan noticed that the dragon had scales as red as blood, and gigantic leather wings. Lachlan decided to put his plan into action, he unspooled his rope. He took one end and tied it around a column of rock that jut out of the ground and into the ceiling. Once he had done that, he pulled the other end of the rope taut. When finally finished, he yelled, "Oh mighty dragon, he who brings to terror upon this region, I challenge you to a test of strength." The dragon’s response was nothing but for it to shift around in its sleep. Annoyed, Lachlan a rock of the ground and threw it at the gigantic beast's head.
Almost immediately after contact, the dragon rose from the mound of gold and roared in a very deep, male voice, "WHOM WAKES ME FROM MY SLUMBER!?" obviously frustrated, the dragon snorted out fire through its nostril, "Is it you Puny boy?"
Lachlan threw his sack of gold on the ground. "I wish to make a bet, to compare our strength." Lachlan gestured towards the rope he held, "A round of tug of war perhaps?" Being arrogant, just like its nature, the dragon accepted and put the rope in its mouth, Lachlan then went to the other end of the rope, which was tied to the column of rock. When both contestants were ready, they both pulled at the rope. Lachlan was only pretending to hold the rope, of course, the dragon thought he was competing against a child. Surprised by what it thought was strength, the dragon clenched its jaw, shut its eyes and pulled. At this, Lachlan let go, filled his sack with even more gold and escaped the cave. Within moments, the dragon had pulled down the cave and had been buried alive.
Lachlan was then made king and ruled kindly. His kingdom was peaceful, his civilians were happy and his soldiers were strong. The end

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!