Under The Cover Of Darkness

The night was still and calm. The only sound was the clicking of the heels of my worn leather boots on the cobblestone. My skirt was flowing around my ankles, brushing against the dewy stone. A breeze blew up from the ocean, whistling through the empty street, sending shivers down my arms. I shuddered and hugged my thin cloak tighter around my body. The fabric was threadbare and full holes. It didn’t do anything to stop the biting cold from stinging my skin, but still I clutched it closer. It may not have offered any heat but it made me feel safe.
The air in front of me swirled and thickened so that it formed a thick white fog. This wasn’t good, I needed to go. I hurried along as the fog thickened around me, clouding my vision and filling my mouth and nose. I needed to find shelter before it was too late. Behind me, I heard the sound of laughter, soft and quiet, and I jumped as my ears were filled with its eerie sound. In the distance, I could see a dark shape amongst the fog. I squinted and wandered closer. I realised that it was a human, a man to be precise.
“Sir! We need to get inside quickly. It isn’t safe out here.” I called out to the figure and started to walk towards it. As I got closer to the man, his shape morphed so that it no longer looked human, the creature created was tall, thin and seemed to have long sharp claws. As I got closer, I saw that instead of eyes, it had two glowing red coals and when it smiled, I saw a mouth full of needle like teeth. Screaming, the creature started to run towards me. It was fast and despite the fact that I knew it would catch me, I turned and ran as fast as my skirt would allow me, flying over the cobblestones through the swirling fog. I could see the yellow glow of a lantern in the distance. I ran faster, spurred on by the faint promise of safety.
As I got closer to the light, I was able to make out the shape of the house where the lantern hung. I ran onto the veranda and started to smash my fists against the door, trying to ignore the sound of footsteps and nails scraping along the cobblestones behind me.
“Please open up! Let me in! I beg you!” but no matter how hard I knocked or how loud I screamed, the door didn’t open. The creature reached the house and it approached me, studying me with its glowing eyes. Turning, I tried to climb over the railing. I was nearly over when I felt a bony hand close over my ankle. The creature pulled me towards itself and kneeling down it pinned me to the floor lowering its razor teeth to my neck. The street echoed with my screams. Then there was silence.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!