A Day At Magic Carpet Land

It was a cold rainy Sunday and a girl named Lily, aged nine was dangling off the couch trying to think of something to do, but nothing would come to her. Jack was her brother, he was eleven and was complaining because he had nothing to do. They sneaked a look at their Dad who had his head buried in the newspaper, BORING!!!
Suddenly they heard a key in the door and then a tall woman in a long dress, and black high heels appeared… “Mum!” the kids yelled, excited to see her as she had bought them some lollies.
Lily then thought of something to do. She went to her bedroom and Jack followed, he was going to annoy her. But Lily wasn’t in her bedroom and now neither was Jack. They were in a place called Magic Carpet Land!
In Magic Carpet Land there were magic carpets zooming around everywhere! Up ahead Jack spotted Lily at a store called ‘Magic Carpets!’ Lily was handed a mat that felt smooth and soft, she hopped on it and whizzed away. Jack ran into the shop and also got a mat. He whizzed away too! The pair were squealing loudly.
Jack caught up to Lily and they raced each other excitedly. Lily did a flip, Jack tried but almost fell off. Lily laughed. The kids played until they couldn’t anymore… Their bones were sore so Lily suggested that they make their way back home. But when she looked around the way back was nowhere to be seen! Lily was worried. “Don’t worry Lily” said Jack, “I’m sure there’s someone around here that knows.”
Meanwhile their Mum had just finished setting the table and was calling them for dinner. When there was no answer, she went up to Lily’s room. She opened the door and saw emptiness. She said “Half an hour more and then it’s time.” Hopefully that was enough time for Lily and Jack to get home!
They were racing around on their carpets asking everyone in the land if they knew the way back. When they were just about to give up, a man walked passed and seeing Lily’s and Jack’s depressed faces he stopped and asked in a concerned voice ” what’s wrong?” “Well, we can’t find our way home,” replied Jack. “Do you know what coloured door you came through?” the man asked. “Um yes, it’s yellow!” exclaimed Lily, “Oh well no wonder you can’t find it, it’s this way. You must have been flipping and racing all the way over.” chuckled the man. The kids giggled.
“Follow me,” the man said. They walked along. Suddenly Jack spotted a yellow door. “Is that the door over there?” he asked. “Yes it is,” the man replied. “How can we thank you?” asked Lily. “You don’t need to,” the man said.
Lily and Jack climbed into the hole and were back in their house. At dinner time they told their parents about their day! Guess how surprised they were?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!