The Race

‘Bang!’ The gun went for the 1500 metre race as all the kids went shooting to the Front. My legs ran as fast as they can. My Heart filling with Joy as I dodged my way to second Place. Every step I took felt like I was closer to coming first. My legs moved up a gear and I shot to first place. Excitement filled my body as I crossed the middle of the track. I couldn't help but smile.
My legs went faster and faster. The sun’s rays were pushing against me, slowing me down. Every breath became more difficult. I was only in front by a single step. Sweat began to roll down from my forehead, into my eyes, across my cheeks and into my mouth. I could taste the salt.
I was feeling confident as I finished the second lap. Just as I crossed the line, three girls shot past me. My heart dropped like a stone falling to the bottom of a pond. The muscles in my legs were tightening, the tingling filled my entire legs as the lactic acid attacked my muscles. Maybe this was a bad idea. My confidence disappeared in an instant.
I dropped to last place. Tears filled my eyes as I came to the end of the third lap. I knew that I was going to lose the race. I passed my best friend cheering for me on the sideline. “If you come first I will give you twenty dollars!” she screamed to me. In that instance, I began to talk myself into it. “Ok you can do it, it is only one more lap.” The more positive thoughts I had the more girls I seemed to overtake. “Keep it up,” I thought, “and I will be in the lead!” I said to myself. My brain twisted, searching for that final thought. My friend called out to me again. I was so grateful for my supportive friend, if it wasn’t for her I would have given up.
I shot to first place. The 100 metre sprint began but something didn’t feel quite right. I looked down and saw my shoelaces dangling down from my shoe. Just as I thought it couldn’t get any worse. Bang! Something pounded into my back and I tripped over my shoelace. I fell face first into the ground, I felt like a deflated whoopee cushion. I opened up my eyes with fear and dirt stuck in my eyes.
“Are you ok?” asked the man with a gentle smile.
“I’m fine,” I said as I got up and finished the race with a slow Jog. “Whoever hit me in the back is going to pay,” I said to myself.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!