Watching

I was kneeling in the bushes, twigs poking my knees. I was watching the bushland around me, a stream swishing and splashing before me. It was big enough to accompany small creatures on their quest for lunch; the little fish swimming around would make a satisfactory meal for any animal, brave enough to take a dip in the icy water. The light breeze blew it’s self around me, along with my two-sizes-two-big camo suit. I looked above, to see the canopy of leaves wave hello to me, spreading the scent of fresh air around the forest. I took in a beautiful breath of fresh air, nothing like the pollution filled stuff in the city. I examined my surroundings, taking in every detail. I could smell the faint scent of wild berries, hiding just out of hungry birds reach, feel the crunching leaves below me, taste the air that carried the trace of eucalyptus leaves far from my hiding place, see the diamond like river before me the vibrant greenery of the undergrowth and hear the distant bird song, along with the rustle of moving leaves.
Suddenly there was movement from the bushes opposite me, and a small, brown, creature stepped out, toward the river. It nosed around careful, aware there were things around here that could pose a threat to him. He wondered out onto the river’s edge, gazing intently into the flowing liquid before him. I shifted my stance to get a better look at the fuzzy being in front of me. As I moved the creature looked directly at my hiding spot, I froze not daring to breathe, as the brown mass continued to investigate the bush I was camouflaged as. I stayed as silent as a cat hunting prey. The animal decided to continue looking into the splashing creek, unaware of its onlooker. I sighed, relived I hadn’t scared off the critter. I repositioned myself; I now had a good view of the animal. It was an otter! This mammal was well equipped for life in the water; sharp claws to snag speedy fish, a thick, fuzzy coat able to keep the otter warm in chilly waters, webbed feet to swim after its food, and sensitive ears and nose, to pick up any reason to hide.
The otter’s personality suddenly changed, it seemed to have locked on to an unsuspecting fish. It followed it around with its eyes waiting for the right moment to dive. Slash! The otter plunged its self in to the river in pursuit of the fish. The otter made its way down river out of my view, wanting something for lunch. I stayed watching the forest around me, hoping for another encounter with an equally amazing creature, but nothing else presented itself to me. I stayed here a little longer marvelling at the tranquillity of my surroundings. I decided to leave the mysteries of the forest untouched, pack up my things, and rose from the bushes, leaving the forest behind me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!