Not Insane; Just A Psychopath.

Excellence Award in the 'Beyond Words 2015' competition

“You’re insane!”
Her voice echoed in his mind, the indicative terror on her face slicked with tears. She flinched away as he rose, an ugly grin forming on his lips, and replied. “Not insane; just a psychopath.”
The pan hit her skull with a sickening crack.
His wife wasn't that special, merely a woman he found suitable to sustain a normal life with. She, of course, was thrilled with the idea of marrying a high-end businessman, and fell right into his lap. They maintained a simple life for a couple of years, the income mostly coming from him while his wife struggled to catch up, pressured by his constant bragging and disapproval of her lack of work ethics. Unknown to her, however, he wasn't that interested in the amount she made, only that she knew his supremacy. He created this life, not her. He built up this utopia that supported their marriage, so it was only fair that she belonged to him, not the other way around. He was not a dog on show for the amusement of the public. No, that was her; a nugatory that had no right to think she could ever match his superiority.
She kept this mindset, aided by his constant belittlement, and was rewarded for co-operating with gifts only the rich could afford.
But the woman wanted children.
She brought up the idea of starting a family. He found this suggestion preposterous. Why on earth would he ever want to be leeched by a parasite with nothing to give him in return? He turned down the idea, but she continued to bother him.
Unacceptable.
She would cry sometimes. He would yell when she irritated him about her desires, and this only angered him further. She was his possession, and in no way would he give that right to the scum she called children. He began to doubt his past choices in choosing her to be his.
This enraged him.
In no way should he be feeling this way because of her. He began to lash out whenever she brought up her wishes. The gifts he gave her were taken away, as if she was a disobedient child, and the abuse grew. She opposed his new ways, which irritated him even further. But she finally crossed the line when she said four simple words:
“I want a divorce.”
He was shocked. Why would she ever want to leave? He gave her everything. He supported her and made sure she was always happy. Was she happy? Was he happy…? No, she was making him unhappy. That. That was just…unacceptable.
He confronted her, voiced his outrage at her behaviour, screamed his authority and brushed off her pleas. She was his. She had no rights to conduct herself in such way. It made him angry. She was in no place to be doing this. His property was to respect him. To serve him. To fulfil his wishes and stay in its place.
He raised the pan.
She screamed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!