New Year's Night

‘Oh, come on’ Sarah called over her shoulder as she advanced on the shabby little house, ‘don’t be superstitious, it’s just a house and anyway mum said that people that believe in silly stories become stories’
Emilia hung back.
‘No, no you mustn’t go in. Didn’t you hear on the news a man died in that house three years ago and now on new year’s night (which is tonight) the future dead are supposed to walk as ghosts through that house and try to nurse the dead man back to health!’
Sarah shook her head and wondered how someone could be such a coward.
‘Oh well, I’ll prove her wrong about those stories.’ Sarah muttered determinedly to herself still bravely walking towards that rugged yet beautiful house and its overgrown jungle.
Emilia stood there wondering how someone that didn’t even know the town could do such an irresponsible thing and then realising her friend’s danger in a decrepit house took after Sarah as fast as her short stubby legs could carry her.
Inside the house was dark and dreary with old vintage furniture.
‘Sarah?’ she called with a hint of uneasiness in her voice as she ascended the steep, unsteady staircase surprised at how large roomed the small house was, ‘Sarah!’
Her voice echoed loudly around the aged hollow rooms.
Night drew closer as Emilia ventured far into a maze of empty heartless rooms. The more she looked the more rooms began to appear until she felt sure that she had searched at least six grubby living areas. Then she heard it, the sound of many worn out feet upon dusty, cracked floor boards.
Emilia ran out into passage hopping, praying that it was a search party for her and Sarah.
As she rounded the corner Emilia’s eyes bulged as she watched silver transparent beings advance with trays of what looked very much like remedies that you might find in a gypsy’s caravan.
Her hand moved to her mouth as she thought of her mother’s warning about New Year’s night. She could not feel her hand against her mouth! In fact she couldn’t even feel her body! Emilia’s eyes swivelled to look at her chest, her waist and her legs!
An ear piercing scream was the last sound that Emilia Jane Lawrence uttered.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!