Wolf

Finalist in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

I am not a terrorist. They don’t know my ‘once upon a time’, so in their stories, I am a big bad wolf. They make themselves scared of me, but the truth is so much simpler: all I am is a wolf without a home, who needs to protect his family and has seen his brothers fight each other like animals. I have nowhere to go – so I turn to the pigs.
“Wolves not welcome!” It’s hard to ignore this as the pigs shout. Apparently I don’t belong. As they stare, I become small and insignificant in their eyes; my tail curling between my legs in an attempt to make myself invisible. The life slowly drains from me as I put one paw in front of the other. Some turn away as I try to approach them whilst others slam their doors and draw their blinds. I can see light inside and sense movement of those within, but they only see a big bad wolf.
“You’re not our problem!” I suppose the entitled sow thought she was a hero confronting a villain. Leaving the straw house behind, I move village to village, carrying only the clothes on my back. Piglets cry and run at the sight of me and I cry too, thinking of my own pups. One cannot call themselves desperate until they must leave their young to go searching for a better life. No one answers their doors but I’ll never give up hope – it’s all I have left.
“We help enough! You’ll give nothing back!” He lived in a small house of sticks. Enough? There is no such thing as ‘enough’. It’s a natural thing to want more because we’re animals. There will always be more wolves needing homes because there will always be someone to make them leave. In my homeland, I was the best farmer in the village and thought I could farm to make a new life for my family here. Pigs don’t need farmers apparently.
“You won’t be settled here!” I hope this isn’t true – pigs lie all the time anyway. Still, the Mayor has these words everywhere and I am angry now. What did I do to deserve this? In the distance I can see a beautiful looking house. My last hope is strong, stable and made of bricks. Pigs and wolves alike are jealous of this sanctuary. There, nothing is impossible and dreams come true. I reach out my paw to try and grasp some of those dreams for myself but instead I: knock, knock. Strangely enough, it is you who opens the door.
The pigs say all these things because they don’t understand me. But as I stand at the doorstep of the last house I fear this is what you will say. I’m looking at you now, hoping you will understand, that you will help me.
I am just like you.
I am not a big bad wolf.
You know my story, so will you let me in?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!