Fears Of The Night

I stood in disbelief watching as my best friend, Jace, let out a piercing scream, pain engulfing him. He dropped to the ground and I wanted to run to his side and help him but he'd told me not to, it was for my own safety he'd said. I was confused and petrified as I watched him scream, change.... transform. He was gripping his head and doubled over and I felt completely vulnerable and endangered as I stood in the dark only the light from the moon illuminating our faces. I slowly started stepping back finding shelter behind a tree. I watched from the shadows as he grew and grew, his clothes disappearing in thin air and his body slowly being covered in jet black fur, his screams being transformed into howls. His face morphed until I was looking at a complete and utter stranger, everything about him was different except for his eyes they were still as crystal blue as they were the day I first met him. He became almost double his average height and flashed his razor like teeth at me drool pouring from his mouth. His long gnarled claws as sharp as daggers hung at his sides and he walked slowly towards me and for a second I thought I saw a flash of recognition cross his face but that was soon replaced by hunger. I quickly realised if I didn't do anything my best friend would kill me, I straightened up and very slowly backed away never taking my eyes away from the familiar stranger towering over me. He'd told me I was the only one who could save him. I didn't expect it to be this bad. I was freaking out my breathing becoming short and sharp and I couldn't think of how to help. What could I do? I had to think fast but I couldn't, I couldn't process what had just happened. My heart was pounding in my chest so loudly that I was sure he could've heard it. I was concentrating so hard I wasn't aware of the steep hill behind me my long dress caught on a rock and I fell and landed agonisingly at the bottom of the hill barely able to pick myself up. I reached for my head that was now throbbing and was scared to find blood on my fingers as I pulled my hand away. He bolted down the hill and stood over me that hunger and fierceness in his eyes again. I moved back slowly shuffling along the forest floor. I'd started crying and was wiping away my tears hurriedly not wanting him to think I was scared. He was very close now and I stopped moving away instead I looked into his crystal blue eyes and spoke three words barely above a whisper,"I love you." There was a blinding light and he was gone. I pulled my knees up to my chest and poured my heart out until there was nothing left.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!