Let It Go

The icy wind blurs my vision forming unwanted tears. I glare and abolish them from sight. Sure, I always feel the tears, pain, and anguish. But I will never let them show for the world to see. If they did, well I wouldn’t know how to react. No one can know, hell my parents don’t even know. If they found out about it, the depression, such a horrible disease their little girl is facing then they would be the depressed ones.
I look down into the grey abyss that will lead to my demise, the fog wrapping around itself. My eyes scan over the water below me and spy a sharp rock, like a giant blade, sticking up near the surface. Perfect, I think as I move along the side of the cobblestone. I need to calculate this perfectly, I only have one chance. If I fail then I will be put under Suicide Watch, Psychiatrists, medication, constant surveillance… a chill runs up my back like a tarantula spinning its web along my spine.
I angle my body correctly and lean back holding onto the rail of the bridge. I close my eyes the memories playing like an old home video, badly filmed yet so perfect it deserves an Emmy or Oscar. Messy light brown hair, olive skin, alive bright blue eyes, the fleeting smile, the love, the care. Arden Fitzroy. Smart, funny, sweet and all-round gorgeous.
I lean forward, my hands itching to let go.
“Melinda… Meli…” He scolded teasingly, a soft grin on his angular face.
My dirty blonde hair falls in front of my face, hanging in stiff curls.
His lips left mine and I felt at an instant loss, his kisses so soft so sweet. “I’m so lucky.” His voice sweet like a melody.
Tears running freely down my face as a few fingers leave the rail.
His arms wrapped around my waist and lightly ran his finger over the side of my hip, making an infinity symbol. I turned around and raised my brow. He just grinned innocently down at me his front teeth showing, braces catching the glare from the hot mid equator sun.
“What’s with the infinity stuff? Are you that much of a Starbucks white girl? You want a caramel choc frap now?” I teased and his chest shook with laughter. A slight smirk appeared on my face, I loved teasing him and it was kind of my job.
“Yeah, where is it?” He asked in what he thought was a girl voice, which was extremely high and squeaky. Like a mouse that could talk who had sucked in a balloon of helium. “But to answer your question, it’s because I will love you to infinity, for eternity.” He leant his forehead on mine while I gaped at him and his sweetness. “I love you Meli.”
I lean forward and more fingers slip, a lone sob wracking my body.
“I’m coming Arden.”
I fall, wind rushing past, into the rocky waters.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!