Man Vs Savannah

I woke up to the sound of a loud bang of thunder in the distance and I looked up at the sky. There were no clouds. Then I realised that the thunder, was indeed not thunder, but the engine of the safari your bus starting up. I got to my feet, picked up the bag that I was using for a pillow, and started sprinted with all my might, yelling, “WAIT FOR ME!”. Then I saw the bus accelerating past the large Acacia tree and I knew there was no hope. I was just wasting my energy. I don’t why I kept running. I saw the bus disappearing in the horizon and I collapsed on to the ground. I broke up in tears. ‘This is the end of Harrison Smith,’ said a voice in my head.
There I was, in the middle of the Savannah grasslands, all on my own, with no one to talk to, with no one to feel comfortable with. The only thing I had to defend myself was a machete that I received from my mother before I came here. I looked at my watch, 3:18. I had been lying down for what seemed like half an hour. I got up and made my way back to the acacia tree. I supposed that that was the safest place for me. Away from all the lions. Away from all the dangers. Night fell and, as I expected, the roaring of the lions kept me awake all night. I didn’t get a wink of sleep all night. As the sun started rising I realised that I had a map of the bus route in my bag. I frantically unzipped it and pulled out. I had a chance of surviving!
The bus had to go the long way around the rainforest to get to the next destination. I could take a shortcut through the rainforest and possibly get there before the bus. The rainforest was roughly 500m away. It was a big ask, but it was my only chance of survival. I packed my bag and headed for the rainforest. I heard a loud roar. I turned around. I can’t believe I forgot all about the lions. I started running. I dropped my bag and kept sprinting. As I looked over my shoulder I saw that the lion went after my bag and not me. But that didn’t stop me from running. I sprinted all the way to the rainforest before I even dared to stop and catch my breath. I had never felt so tired in my life. I collapsed and stumbled down a steep dip. I felt a strange sensation on my leg. I looked at my leg and, to my disbelief; I saw a sharp piece of wood sticking out of my calf muscle. I felt like my leg had come off as the blood poured all over my limb. I slowly started pulling the wood out. I had never felt any pain close to the agony I was experiencing at the moment.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!