Hearts

The sun had risen yet clouds where rolling in. I went into the kitchen where mum was ripping open our mail. We were poor and mum couldn’t get a job! She gasped. It was a letter from the war academy.

I was packing with mum, tears pouring down her cheeks, endless hugs every two seconds. I heard a car out the front and I knew it was time. I cherished my final hug and raced to the van, with what felt like 50 other men. I was only 14. I was looking around I saw a boy out of the corner of my eye. I took a second glimpse at him, he was looking straight back at me! His name was James.

We arrived at a windy, desolate beach and slept in bunkers in the ground. I was in with James, and two others. We were excited about the next day - we were going to war. It was like I had been taken to another life! James and I talked throughout the night; He liked the same things I did; Star Wars, sport and especially grapes! That night I slept with a smile on my face!

The next morning came so quick. A bright light pierced my eye lids - it was like a blinding laser. It reminded me of the Star Wars movies my family and I would watch together snuggled up on the couch. I blinked a few times before I remembered where I was and what I was doing. I heard a bellowing voice “Hurry up you idiots, we don’t have all day!” I rushed out still pulling my pants up.

I got this huge gun which was almost my size. It was heavy and I found it hard to carry. I looked at the top of a nearby hill and saw millions of little figures rushing towards us. We were all excited, but it was only after the first gun shot that we realized bullets hurt. What was going to happen? Will I die? What is my mother doing? Where is my dad? I was in the wrong place.

Hours passed and we were still in battle. I was getting more and more nervous with each gun shot. It was so sad to see so much blood and dead bodies lying in the field, yet I was proud to have been chosen to fight for my country.

The man in front of me was shot down. I froze! It was my turn. I had to go! I was just staring straight ahead, thoughts where rushing through my mind but nothing made sense. I tried so hard to tune out but it just wasn’t possible, all the yelling screaming, moaning and gunshots were frightening. BOOM, I felt a dreadful pain in my tummy. I hadn’t even raised my gun. Then came the pain. I felt like screaming but I couldn’t. It felt as if I had been shot. wait no. I had been shot.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!