Bandit's Luck

Hi my name is Justin. I am a 10 year old boy who lives with my family and my pet dog, Bandit. I called him Bandit because he has distinctive black patches all over his body. By now you are probably wondering where I live, well I live in a safe and sturdy tree house about 1km from a tiny little town in tropical north Queensland. We live in a small tree house because my family is quite poor.

I found Bandit by accident when I was walking mysteriously in the rainforest looking for sticks and bark to have a huge campfire that very night. I was walking around minding my own business, when I heard rustling in the palm leaves lying on the ground. So then I went to investigate the almost horrid noise coming from the palm leaves. Once I was close enough to move the leaves I realised it was crying. I picked up the thing making the noise and discovered it was coming from a tiny puppy. I named him Bandit.

From the first day I met him I knew there had to be something wrong with his left eye. I knew that because he had a ghost white eye with a tiny little pupil in the middle. He would always bump into our valuables and obliterate our treehouse. One thing that stood out about him, was that he had a fantastic sense of smell. He would always lead me to juicy, plump mangoes hidden in the rainforest.

One day Bandit caught a little scent which made him lead me in the opposite direction he usually goes. I was sprinting after him when he finally froze on the spot. I saw him staring at something green on the ground. Straight away I knew it was MONEY, I didn't believe it. I picked it up and ran to the nearest general store, to get groceries for my family. I finished shopping and I had a little bit of left over money, so I decided to try my luck and brought a scratchie. I knew I would get in trouble if my parents found out so I hid it in my pocket.

I got home and gave my family a huge surprise! They were so gobsmacked my mum started to cry and that's when I told them how Bandit found the money. That very night after dinner I got in my ripped pyjamas and the scratchie fell out of my boardies pocket. I had forgotten about it, so I decided to scratch it. Bandit sat next to me wagging his tail happily with pride. When I was done I saw I had 3 of a kind but I hadn't yet seen the prize money. I nervously looked, jumped to the sky and said "HALLELUJAH". I had won so much money. I then knew that we would never be poor again and I could pay Bandit back by having his eye fixed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!