Company

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

He sat there every day. Just sat. Bucket placed beside him. The look of yearning in his eyes. He was only 11. He had nothing to look forward, no home, no belongings but the bucket. His only hope was to make it through the night. One girl saw that. One girl changed that.
It was the same as it always was in an African summer. Hot. Dalila was collecting water from the well. Her Ma was expecting her to be back as soon as possible. Her sister had come down with a fever and needed water soon. Her Ma had said she would be ok by tomorrow and Dalila knew it was true. But that didn’t mean her sister didn’t need water. As Dalila started off home she saw a boy sitting by a bucket in a dark corner. He was looking at her with pain in his eyes. For a moment, time seemed to stop. They just stared at each other. Then reality rushed back to Dalila and she hurried on home.
She lay in bed that night, awake, with her thoughts only on that boy. He looked younger than her, for she was 13. It was a hard life in this part of Africa. Her family got by pretty well compared to others. They always had a bit of food left over that they usually gave to someone with no food. Her Ma had left her in charge of that food. Which meant, when she went out, she had to deliver the food to anyone she saw, that was hungry, until the extra food ran out. She finally decided that she would feed the boy tomorrow as she drifted into sleep.
It was busy in the market square today. Dalila walked across the pavement towards the boy. As he saw her, he huddled closer to the wall. Dalila crouched down beside the boy and held out the food.
‘Don’t be afraid,’ she said in gentle voice, ‘I don’t want to hurt you. Please take this food, it’s for you.’ The boy smiled softly and took the food gratefully. He ate like he had never eaten before. ‘What is your name?’ Dalila asked softly. The boy looked up. He had finished his food.
‘Chike,’ the boy replied. Dalila looked up. It was getting late and she had chores to do.
‘Well, Chike, I must be off, I’ll be back tomorrow,’ Dalila said. Chike gave a small nod and watched her leave. He now had one thing to look forward too. Her company.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!