Saving Ballet

Lisa Brick stood in the empty hallway, listening to the soft yet powerful music that floated from the studios. She resisted the need to shiver – it was a cold Saturday in Ballarat, and even though she was layered in woolly tracksuits she still could feel the icy wind slowly nibbling away at her.
It had been a long summer break. Every spare day that showed up Lisa would head down to the beach with her family. All she could think about was the sweetness of salty hair, sandy toes and unwanted, noticeable tan lines.
It felt a bit strange wearing ballet tights, slipping your feet into soft leather shoes and pulling on beige leotards.
“Lisa! Lisa!” Chorused a group of girls down the hall. Lisa ran towards them as fast as she possibly could in bed-boots. “Amelia! Natalia! Mackenzie!” she shrieked. Lisa kicked off her boots, threw down her bag and joined in the group hug. They all began chatting about the holidays and the New Year. “I think we should get changed now, class is in 10 minutes.” Mackenzie warned. “Yes, last year I was late to class everyday – Miss Opera was so angry!” Amelia added.
They filed into the change room, giggling.
15 minutes later…
“Point! Flex! Point! Carry derriere, and point! Flex! Point!” Miss Opera clapped along with each word. Miss O’Zoe beat the shiny piano keys passionately. It was this class that Lisa always loathed. Although a strict teacher taught you more than a kind one ever could, Miss Opera was a bit over the top.
Lisa attended The Opera School of Classical Ballet, a small studio located in inner Ballarat. It was old and the walls were beginning to crumble, but all of the students loved it anyway.
Natalia mouthed, “This is torture!” To Lisa. She gave a sympathetic look and carried on with her exercise.
Later, when only the seniors were still in class, Lisa overheard a conversation between Miss O’Zoe and Miss Opera.
“A friend of mine could use a pianist, if you were willing to drive the distance.”
Miss Opera said. “I suppose, but couldn’t we relocate the school instead of shutting it down?” Miss O’Zoe replied. Lisa gasped. “I’m sorry, but our 3 year lease is up.”
Later that evening…
“But mum, I heard them! They said it would be shutting down! We need to help!” Lisa cried. “Well, OK. I’ll see what I can do, but your father would be of better help.” Mrs. Brick sighed. “That’s it! Dads business is relocating – they could just put in bars and mirrors and sprung floors.” “Yes, but that would cost money also.” Her mother replied. But Lisa was thinking ahead.
The next morning, she told all of her classmates to prepare an act for the Fundraiser Talent Show that she was planning to raise money for her dance school. “Hmmm… I think entry for children will cost $2.00, and for adults $3.50. Does that sound good?” She asked. “Yes!” her friends replied.
3 weeks later, at the community centre a successful talent show was put on, and the dance school was saved!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!