Last Thing I Do

The beeping sound of a heart monitor was a familiar sound to me. I heard it every day. The smell of a hospital was the only smell that I remember. No person should have to go through this. My name’s Maple, I’m a 12 year old girl. I basically live in a hospital. You might be thinking ‘Why did she end up in here?’ Well, I honestly don’t know. One day I just woke up in a hospital bed with my mother sitting next to me crying and my Dad pacing around the room. No one has told me what happened, everyone just refers to it as ‘that night’. I’ve been here for 4 years, that’s 4 years I could’ve spent running around, having fun. But I guess I’m an unlucky one.
The only thing I can remember from ‘that night’ is that I was at home in my bedroom. Suddenly I heard a scream and someone entered my room. The next thing I know I’m in a hospital bed with a stabbing pain all through my body. I want answers. I am going to found out what happened to me.
Even if it’s the last thing I do.
I wake up the next morning to the same usual noises and smells. I open my eyes and see my parents chatting with the doctors. I don’t know what it’s about but it looks serious. “What’s wrong?” I ask, still half asleep. My mother walks over to me from where her, my dad and the doctors were standing. As she walks over I can see she that her eyes are red and puffy like she had been crying. “Nothing dear, go back to sleep,” she says with a caring voice. From the way she looks I can tell that something is wrong. She walks back over to my Dad and the doctors. The Doctors leave and my Dad comes over to my bedside and kneels down. “Umm dad.” “What is it Maple?” He asks. “What happened to me? I know you said you can’t tell me but I deserve to know.” My dad doesn't say anything but instead he gets up and walks over to where my mother was. After a short discussion both my parents came over and my dad said “Maple, yes you do deserve to know but...” “But what??” I half yell. “But you’ll need to go into surgery soon and there’s only a 45% chance it will work,” my dad said. Immediately after he said that a tear shed down my face. It had just occurred to me that I’m going to spend the rest of my life in this dump.
A couple days later I went into surgery. The problem was I never woke up. I never found out what happened to me. That person got away with whatever they did. But I swear to God that they will see so much more of me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!