Jake And Speed Mountain

Jake looked to his right a large teen loomed over him with a cart that was huge with large rubber wheels and metal plating. Bruce looked down and smiled, Jake gulped than turned to his left. A little girl maybe eight with pink sunglasses was sitting in a small pink cart. Labeled on the side 'Stella’s speedster'. He looked back at his sister who was about to shove him down a hill for the tenth time today, on a small wooden Billy cart to win the 'speedster 2.0' brand new model. It was the last race after pulling the heavy wooden cart up the hill, for his sister Jade to push him back down again. A man on the loudspeaker spoke, 'Final race Jake Jones, Bruce Hutch and Stella Edward.' He paused. 'On your marks..., get set..., go.'
Jade shoved him down the mountain. Jake had one look at Bruce then regrets it. Stella was faster then she looked. A corner was coming up; Jake grabbed the reigns and started to turn. Butch took the advantage and whirled on front of him straight for Stella. Stella zoomed forward just in time and Bruce crashed into the tyre barrier. Bruce turned the reigns and the cart turned straight back to the race. Jake looked ahead there was a set of pine trees not far away. He took a glimpse at Stella who had spun back behind him. He moved to the left, but she followed pursuit. Then he did something crazy! He drove straight at the barrier on the right. At the last second he skidded right and Stella crashed into the wall. Unexpectedly Bruce charged down the hill behind Jake. 'How did he get here so quick?' Jake thought to himself. Bruce sped right round Jake straight for the finish. Jake took a glimpse back at Stella, who was crying in her broken cart. Jake hit the small wooden break on his cart and got out of it. He pulled the wooden falcon up the hill to Stella. Once he reached her she stopped crying. He looked into her eyes and saw Jade. He smiled; her wheel had come off during the crash. Jake unscrewed his wheel using his pocket multi tool and put it on Stella’s cart. He smiled and gave her a big boost.
When he got to the end of the track, the crowd was cheering with Stella in their arms. Bruce was sobbing in the corner with a crashed cart. Jake glanced at Stella and she smiled back, Jakes parents came up to him and hugged him, 'Don't worry sweetie, you'll win next year.'
Jake new deep down that day, he won in his own special way.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!