Leopard Smoothie



LEOPARD SMOOTHIE

“Hi Tom,” Mum says as I walk inside.
“Hi mum,” I reply.
“Tom, we need to buy milk.” Mum states.
“But the store is closed,” I remind her.
“Then we’ll go to the market,” She says anxiously.
?“Yeah…well, ok.” I say reluctantly, and we head off in the car.

The thing about the market is that I have never gone because it sounds really dodgy. And it has a weird name. It is called Meerkat Markat.
When we get to the market we go to a cafe called Porky Piner Deli Diner. Mum looks sickly as we read the side of the milk carton together…It reads:
May contain fur. Yuck! I think.
“Let’s go.” I say, and we leave in silence. At home we eat dinner and I drink all the milk, as mum refuses to drink a single drop.

Throughout the night I twist and turn as my skin prickles and twitches. At 3:27 am, I wake up and stretch my back out. Why am I stretching like this? I wonder. Suddenly I start to lick something furry.
“Wait, am I licking myself?” I shriek, but it comes out as a growly purr. Scared, I rush into the bathroom and stare in shock and disbelief at what I see. My jaw drops. “I’M A LEOPARD!” I scream, but all I hear is a startled yowl.
My mum stumbles in and just stops. As I look around, she yelps and runs out of the room. I stagger into the office and write a scribbly note with my paw:


Dear Mum,
I must leave as I have turned into a leopard after drinking that milk. I will be at the Sydney zoo.
Love Tom

I leap out of the window and as Mum sobs uncontrollably.


TWO WEEKS LATER


I am on a boat looking out to the sea, wind on my furry face, staring at Port Jackson emerging from the distance. Life is hard without mum. I have decided to go to the zoo as I have turned into a strong, muscular leopard after drinking some milk from Meerkat Markat Market.

After being a leopard for two weeks I have learnt to speak English again. At the Harbour I jump off the boat and go over to the zoo.
“Hi,” I say to a worker who looks so bewildered I think he might faint. He leads me to the zoo manager and I get a job as zoo mascot.
Long, sad months pass as I become famous in the state, Australia and then the world.

One day a young lady with a matt of curly blond hair and emerald green eyes walks in.
“MUM!” I cry as I bound up to her.
“Oh Tom,” She cries as she hugs me.
“Can we go to Africa mum?” I ask.
“Yes Tom, yes we can.”


One day the following spring mum drops her hair brush into my milk just before I drink it. Can you guess what happens next?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!