The Secret Society

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

I shivered as I look through the frosted window. The war has gone on for years but it feels like it just started yesterday.
Bravely, I stepped outside to find a gun dart in the backyard. I called Ebony and we packed survival supplies. “Let's head to the forest,” Ebony yelled with a frightened look on her face. I opened the front door. “We better hurry.”
As we stepped into the forest a bomb went off. “RUN!” I yelled as we ran deeper and deeper until we couldn’t see the town. “Phew” Ebony sighed, sitting on a rock. “We better go deeper in,” I mumbled. “AHHH!”
“What was that?” I whispered, looking around the rock. Then a girl fell on the rock, from out of the trees, “Ouch!” I cried, jumping off her. “Sorry about that!” The girl apologised with a southern accent. “I’m Ellie, my town blew up and this is the only safe place I could think of.” I wondered if she is alone or not, she should come with us. “Come with us,” Ebony said, holding her hand out. With a worried face, she took her hand and came with us deeper into the forest.
As nightfall came, we put the tent up and had a small dinner. “I have apples,” she cried, “fresh from my farm, Apple farm.” I took an apple and sniffed it. It was off. Ellie ate 5 and mine. After dinner, I read my survival handbook and got ready for morning. “What’s coming up won't be good, I thought.”
In the morning, we saw an army group of kids. “Shoot that podium,” one girl shouted. Then we heard bangs as the guns fired. My heart pounded as one of the girls spotted our tent. “Brooke look,” one shouted, giving me a look.
“Who goes there?” Brooke said, pointing a sword at my chin. “Please, we’re only trying to escape the war,” Ebony said, trying to protect us. “Brooke, Kaitlyn, let them be!” the other girl said, pointing a bow at them. “Now why are you in our secret society grounds?” Brooke said. “Our towns were destroyed!” Ellie sobbed, as tears rolled down her cheeks.
“Have Mercy!” I begged.
“Fine,” Brooke said. “You can join our secret society. By the way, I’m Brooke, this is Kaitlyn and that’s Claire.”
We followed them with our supplies to an enormous bush. They handed us war gear and they said “New World Warriors, bow to our command. We will rule all this forest forever and soon the whole land”. I was confused. Did they like the war?
We stepped in the bushes and found that this was a big camp. We put on war suits and held weapons. I help a sword, Ellie held a bow and Ebony held a gun. Ebony, Ellie, Brooke, Kaitlyn, Claire and I are now the secret society and will change this war.
“So…” Ebony said. “What’s this for?” I don’t think my Sis is crazy, but the answer is obvious. “To change the war,” Brooke said, sternly. “I would be scared to be a soldier in war,” I said, going red cheeked.
“Well, fight your fears because the secret society is a society to FIGHT THE WAR!” Brooke yelled in my face. I gulped. Did I think this through?
Brooke showed us our cabin. There are a lot of cabins here. She probably expects a heap of people to come here. “People who come here either become forgotten, or a warrior, choose wisely,” she said cautiously. When we woke up the next day, we had heard a scream. I thought it was Ebony. I turned around to see that it was a member of the British army. I was startled, has the war already followed us?
I ran to Brooke’s office to tell her about the soldier. She ran to a wall which opened to a secret entrance. “Gather your stuff,” she said, grabbing her bow, backpack, gun and sword. I ran to my cabin, also grabbed my backpack, gun and sword. I looked into the mist and hoped that all would not be lost...
To be continued...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!