Ganged Up!

“1, 2, 3….” I was already gone. My legs stretched out in front of me as the rushing wind tangled in the dark strands of my loose hair. I had to keep on moving. I glanced a quick look back, and in the blur of movement, I saw him. John, standing there with his eyes locked on his first target, ready to strike. I didn’t see who it was, I didn’t have time. I couldn’t stop, not when I was so close. As my destination came into view, I ducked down behind a thicket of dark green. I felt the brush of sharp leaves tangling up in my straight locks, but I was too tired to notice. I made another quick glance back, just in time to see poor Liz dodge out of John's arms reach. Her face was filled with horror as she attempted to back away, but it was too late. John had caught her by surprise, and now, he had her, she couldn’t be trusted anymore.

I inadvertently let out a gasp of shock, and Liz's eyes locked with mine. I abruptly turned my back to her, but her footsteps were already getting closer and picking up pace. I sprang from my spot and was again lost in a gust of wind. I didn't dare look back, but I could hear the thunder of her feet against the ground. Panic coursed through me as I focused all my energy towards my legs, willing them to move faster. Adrenaline rushed through me, leaving everywhere around me to die into a blur of blue and green. I could no longer hear footsteps behind me, but that didn't stop me. I kept moving until suddenly, my foot hit something hard, jerking my body downwards toward it. I stretched my arms out in front of me, just barely catching my weight as a jolt of pain stretched through my knee.

I glanced down at my knee and quickly cleared the dirt, revealing a glowing red scratch against my bronze skin.
“It’s not too bad,” I mumbled as I got back up, taking in my surroundings. I had strayed too much from the path. I started pacing around unsure of what direction to take until I heard the ever so faint yelling from far away. Distance didn’t matter, I heard it, my name, loud and clear.
“Amelia!!” I broke into a sprint, following the sound. I was so focused on finding my way back that I failed to notice the small group of people gathering around me. By the time I stopped, I was surrounded. I began to back away in fear, only to run right into him.
“I got you now!! You're it, Amelia!” Smiled John, patting me on my shoulder. I let out an exasperated sigh.
“Fine then, but you only get forty seconds,” I yelled, curling my lips upwards. With that, the crowd around me dispersed in a flash.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!