Edward

There he was. A squirming, minuscule jelly-bean, gently concealed in the folds of my mother's arms.
I couldn't hide the disappointment that began creeping over my face. This tiny thing was not at all like the image I had developed in my mind through Mum and Dad's excitement earlier on. Not at all.
"Come over here, Elly. Meet your new brother, Edward," my mother said encouragingly as I slowly made the journey over to the hospital bed.
Edward. Even the name sounded strange. Mum patted the bed beside her, "Elly, why don't you hold Ed? I'm sure he would love to see his big sister."
Hesitantly, I sat down. Mum carefully placed Ed in my arms.
Urgh. His wrinkly, red skin crumpled heavily at his face, as if someone had pushed it in. To me, he looked like a dried sultana, but in my parents' eyes, he was a dream come true.
"Isn't he gorgeous, darling?" So sweet." My mother almost sang the words.
"Hmph," I replied.
Suddenly, a cheeky grin leapt across Edward's lips, as if to say, 'Just you wait, Elly. You're in for it.'
I gulped. Here I go.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!