New Year's Disaster

Bang! Pow! It was finally 2016. Fireworks were going off all around the world. ‘’Happy New Year’s Mum,’’ I said. ‘’Happy New Year’s to you too Jesse, she answered. We were both sitting on a violet coloured picnic blanket which is on a grassy hill. My mum loved this hill, you could see the glistening stars and the dazzling fireworks easily from up here. My mum was short and she has super long brown hair. She has blue eyes that glisten like stars and she is quite pale. On the other hand I was as tall as a giraffe and I have short black hair.
The fireworks went for ten minutes straight. I got bored about half way through them but my mum adored them. She was fascinated by them the whole way through. ‘’Ok, they’re finished now. Time to go home,’’. My mum stated. ‘’Alright,’’ I answered. It took us just five minutes to walk home from the grassy hill because it was just beside our tiny, grey house.
We were walking home when we saw a flare come from our neighbours house .We walked to get a better perspective and we realised that our house is on fire! Immediately my mum rang the fire brigade but they didn’t answer. ‘’ Oh No!’’ yelled my mum. They’re not answering! We quickly ran down the bumpy street to my grandmother’s house and we told her what was going on.
‘’Happy New Year … Wait what! My grandmother was confused. ‘’Your house is on fire!’’. My grandmother has an old wrinkled face and grey hair. She is also really short like my mum. I hated staying with my grandmother because if something went wrong, she would blame it on me. ‘’Just stay here for the night then and hopefully the fire will go away,’’ my grandmother stated.
I was lying in bed and I couldn’t fall asleep because my grandmother’s bed wasn’t comfortable. Eventually I fell asleep and all I dreamed about was what is going to happen tomorrow. I woke up at seven o’clock in the morning and I saw my mum with my grandmother in the kitchen. My mum was sitting at the dinner table filling out a contract to buy a new house. ‘’ We’re getting a new house!’’ I screamed. ‘’Yes darling,’’ replied my mum. ‘’We’re leaving soon too, so get ready to leave,’’.
I didn’t have anything to take with me. All I had to do was tie my hair up in a ponytail. I was ready and my mum was ready. We left at seven thirty in the morning and when we arrived at our new house we realised that the house was next to my best friend’s house. Within a week, we were all settled in. The council bought my mum bank cards, a phone and furniture for our house.
‘’Jesse, wake up breakfast is ready!’’. I woke up and I was in my old room. It was all a dream.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!