Off To War

Matthew woke to find his wife already up and out of bed. With a dim morning light filtering in through the half open curtain, everything looked so peaceful. Time stopped and Matthew felt like he finally had time to think about all the choices he had made over the last few days.
Is this really the right thing to do? Will I really go off to war thinking I’ll come back? What if things go wrong and I never see my family again? What if I get scared? What will I do then? There’ll be no turning back.
When Edith came scampering into the room and started jumping on her Daddy, all the ‘what if’ thoughts suddenly drained away, like someone pulling the plug in a bath. And Matthew didn’t cling to these thoughts, he let them go, like watching a bird fly by. You notice it, but you don’t let it keep your attention for too long. Edith stopped jumping when Arthur walked in and casually leaned up against the door frame.
“Morning Dad, Mum says breakfast is ready. After that she wants you to help me finish building my wooden aeroplane, like you said you would.”
“Yes, of course, of course! Straight after breakfast son, just like I said I would……just like I said I would……...” Matthew trailed off, looking off into the distance, seeing something that neither children could see. He was thinking about their future, and how much hope his children had in him. And in that moment, Matthew decided, that he would do it he would go off to war, for them, and for the sake of what they could become.
“Took you awhile to get out of bed, didn’t it honey, even for a Saturday!” Mary said to Matthew as she walked across from the kitchen bench to give him a peck on the cheek.
Matthew sat down and started tucking in to a bowl of porridge.
“I just needed some time to think, Luv,” Matthew answered gently, with a dental smile.
An awkward silence settled over the household, and Mary took that time to reflect on her brave warrior.
Oh, I’m so scared. Please don’t go away. We need you, I need you. My brave Matthew, I love you so much and I am so proud of you. Even if something does happen, I will never forget you.
Matthew looked at his wife with kind sparkling eyes and she knew she would miss him dearly.
No, it’s for the best. He WILL go and fight, but he WILL come back to us. He will. I know he will……………………
Two weeks later, Matthew found himself fully dressed in his Australian Imperial Forces uniform, heading off to the train station with Edith and Arthur, walking hand in hand, to catch the first train starting his journey to the troop ship that would eventually land him in Gallipoli.
“Daddy? When will you come back?” Edith inquired curiously.
“I don’t know, sweetie, but I will be back, and I’ll see you then, ok?”
“Ok.”
Then he turned to face both children.
“I love you two, stay safe and be good. I’ll be back before you know it.” ‘
He hugged them tightly and thought of Mary, back at the house, and hoped she would be alright while he was gone. He missed her already even though he had just said goodbye at the house a few minutes ago.
The train whistle sounded and Matthew boarded, waving goodbye to his kids, thinking that he couldn’t love his family more. And as the train drove off into the distance, Matthew thought of his country he was fighting for, and how much he looked forward to seeing them when he got back.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!