A Battle With The Beast

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

I stared in horror at this mighty terror I had to defeat, I gulped. If I refused I would be killed but if I took it on I would surely die. Be brave I told myself, I can do this, I took a quick glance at the big giant green slimy thing and nearly vomited, it was hideous.
I was allowed only two weapons: a small knife and a trident. I charged at the creature but it swung a massive tentacle. It hit me in the chest and sent me whirling into a tree. I was winded with only my knife left, my trident having been knocked away into the bushes. The creature roared and began to lumber towards me. Thinking quickly I threw my knife into the beast and the blade sunk deep into its flesh. I was winning!
But there was no time for celebration as the creature, enraged at having been recently cut open, screeched and made a mad dash for me. I jumped to the left but it caught me on the legs and sent me spinning onto something hard, my trident! I reached out and grabbed its smooth surface. I turned to face my attacker. I jumped. I then stuck the trident into the monster’s flesh before ripping it out. With a loud tearing noise a large chunk of pulpy mass came out with my trident. I leaped again and again, each time tearing chunks of tissue out. I was unstoppable!
I blinked. Suddenly I was in a large room with a bright light shining in my eyes. I blinked again and the light died down a little. I could now make out that I was sitting at a table with a plate, knife and fork in front of me. That's when I realised the horrible taste in my mouth. I swallowed.
"Good job Jake" said mum, "You finally ate your zucchini!"
I looked down and saw that I had a small mass of food on my plate.
Yes! I had finally eaten my zucchini!
Which meant I could have the delicious dessert mum had made - banana and choc-chip ice cream! I rushed to grab some but dad stopped me,
"Aren't you going to finish your broccoli?" he said.
I groaned. Not again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!