That Night

I opened my eyes. Glancing around, I could clearly understand, life was not pleasant, all I saw was a gloomy property. In all quarters, nothing but withered trees, every little detail was like a horror film. My clothes, pieces of wool put together by a few strands of string. If you were there, you’ll think that I was hunted down by a pack of wolves. Covering my face were ten scars, one that ran from my forehead to the bottom of my right cheek. I wanted to get out, wait, I needed to get out!!

There in between the two oak trees was a small light, it seemed far away, but I had no choice. It was my only hope - I needed to follow it like a compass. I went further than expected, but nothing had changed, just new trees which were half out of life. Luckily my hope still held on, the light started becoming bigger as I was closer; things started to take shape and it turns out that the little flicker in the air was coming from an abandoned house. Well, that's what I thought.

I enter hoping that no bear was at home, even though I didn’t expect much I have to say. The interior design was horrid, nothing more than junkyard appliances, normally a room has four walls, well this hideous place only had three. The fourth was only a bunch of plastic bags tied together by rope. Talk about recycling. The light turned out to come from a small fire in the fireplace. Since there was no other way, I had made myself at home.

Suddenly I pick up voices, echoing in the woods, I turn back as I see a black shadow approaching me. Fear entered into my soul, and I started running. Out the back door and into the woods, wishing that this unknown creature was not on my trial. I looked behind me. Trust my good luck, it was right in pursuit. As my feet rushed through the spooky woodland, everything was against me - the wind, the branches, even the leaves. My legs started to ache, thorns were everywhere, from my knee cap straight to my ankle without missing a spot. Even at my top acceleration, the creature was right on track copying every single move. I wanted to give up but this was a fight for my life and I wanted to be proud. I look ahead but nothing was pleasing, lying in front of me was about a five-metre jump, my gut instinct told me to stop but it was too late.

I had made it, but my leg crushed against the rock and I landed straight on the hard surface. I tried to get up, but pain was my enemy. I watched with a heavy heart the mystical creature heading closer to me. I screamed but when I opened my eyes it was a completely different environment, I was in my bedroom. It was only a dream.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!