The Fire Within

I began to focus. I imagined the race track- smooth, perfect and then pictured myself running my heart out like a horse running free in the wild, travelling with the wind and soaring with the sky. The horse being one with nature and myself being one with the track.

Whilst I was lost in my thoughts the gun fired, I heard a faint shot so I bolted. The spark inside of me just became an inferno. It burns out of control powering me to win. The inferno soon becomes a wild spread fire and I have no intention of ever burning out. Half way into the race I felt my feet throb and I can hear my heartbeat loud and clear inside my skull threatening to beat out and suffocate me at any moment. But I ignore any pain my body is giving me and just keep pushing. I have to win, I need to win. My family, coach and friends didn’t just come all this way to see me give up. But quite frankly failure isn’t in my vocabulary. I sprint as fast as my legs will take me and when I get to the ¾ way mark my legs get tangled and I start falling. Falling fast, hard. That's when I knocked myself out and the entire life faded before my very eyes. The light gently disappeared out of my body. I lay lifeless beside the track. I knew I was slipping but I needed to hang on, hang on to any signs that I would be ok. I shut my eyes expecting to die but inside my head a voice kept screaming out say I needed to fight and so I did. As I fought to stay alive this voice kept consuming me keeping me from giving up but there was nothing I could do so I laid at ease, not daring to stir.

I had finally awoke after an intense three day coma. I had sustained a broken skull which could have potentially killed me. But I knew that dying wasn’t an option. My fire had not yet run out and so I lived. Months of recovery and rehabilitations helped my spark ignite. Many doctors said I could not run again due to the pressure it would put on my skull. But not running and competing in the Olympics was my worst nightmare. So I set out to change my fate. I found a doctor who soon became my best friend. It was never easy and I would always need help. But if my family, coach and friends believed that's all I needed going for me. No one could make me quit. No one could tell me I couldn’t do it because I could and I would. Nothing was impossible. So I trained to get back to my goal.One day I will be able to reach my goal. My spark will burn once again and my inferno will grow into an uncontrollable fire.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!