The Package

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

You know when a stranger offers you money to carry a mysterious package onto the plane? The stranger assures you that it’s nothing illegal and points out that it has already been through the security check. He says the rewards for doing so will be immeasurable and really looks sincere about it, so you agree...
It’s been ten minutes, I’m starting to freak out like a little girl, all of this stress is forming a lump in the back of my throat, it gets bigger and bigger each time I think about what’s inside this brown creased up package, I manage to swallow it down and try to distract myself from worrying about this by gazing at the patterns on the carpet underneath my feet.
As I walk past the food court I can smell freshly cut fruit with that sweet tropical aroma. It makes me want to gobble it down but my nerves get the best of me and ruin my appetite.
I keep on thinking about what could be in this intimidating package, I mean, who randomly just walks up to you, hands you a package then casually wanders off? One half of me wants to find out what’s in there and the other half of me is too scared to even think about it! I can never win.
.....
My stress levels are at their maximum level like a balloon that’s been filled with too much helium and is about to explode. Pins and needles have taken over my whole body making me walk funny, I am a total wreck. I feel like I have some kind of urge to go to the toilet.
It's time, I start walking toward the entrance of the plane but all of a sudden something stops me! It feels like I walked into a brick wall. I look up and to my surprise see a freakishly tall man blocking the entrance, he’s buff and looks like some kind of security guard...
“Follow me,” he says in a rather stern voice, his eyes were blue ice. I nod my head in response. My mind is completely blank, I can’t think about anything apart from the fact that I am about to become the first one in my family to ever commit a crime and have a loss of privileges I’ve been trying to gain for years and years or Lord forbid even going to jail!
The man is guiding me through to a hallway where two solid men are waiting for us. I feel the lump from my throat creep back up to the point I can all most touch it with my tongue. Still holding the package firmly in my hands we walk toward the two men. Unexpectedly the security guard in front of me makes a sharp turn to the left into a small room... do I follow?
I enter the room with thoughts popping into my head crazily, like popcorn kernels in a popcorn machine. In the room is another security guard and an elderly couple. The elderly couple walk up to me with a very serious look on their face then slowly smiles begin to appear, next minute we all break into a massive hug.
“What’s going on here?” I exclaim.
“Oh, where are my manners? I’m Edith and this is George. We run an orphanage fundraising charity and we would like to thank you so much for dropping these teddy bears off to Vietnam to those poor children; you will make them soooo happy!” The elderly lady finishes her sentence and looks into my completely puzzled face, then once again gives me a big hug with a cheeky smile on her face.
The lump in my throat has been replaced with a warm, fuzzy feeling. I feel the best I ever have and realise what that stranger meant by immeasurable rewards.
......
It’s time to get on my flight, I start skipping toward the entrance of the plane with the package in my hands. A big smile on my face because I’m ready to go drop these teddies to Vietnam!!!!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!