Unacquainted Acquaintance

It was in the car that I had felt something was up. I was in my usual seat at the front, gazing through the window, watching the flashes of colour speed past my face. A week ago, I had received an unexpected invitation from the twins living in the next town about a party, I never really liked that town always seeing weird things. But it was from the twins and my mum absolutely insisted I attend because they are friends, (my mum has a bad habit of doing that). As we were driving out of the out of the garage, I knew something was up. Dad usually runs outside with that annoying smile on his face to say goodbye to me, and runs me through the correct etiquette for a party, but he didn’t. He’s not even my real dad but I couldn’t help but miss it. My mum refuses to get me a real phone (the twins are in the same situation) so I was stuck with hearing mums dreadful singing. As we left town, I felt a cold chill run down my spine. I told my mum but she was concentrating on hitting the correct notes and wasn’t paying attention to my question. “Yes dear, perhaps its because you have the window open” she half replied, “Mum our window is broken!” I reminded her. Although I told her that wasn’t the case, I could not help but wonder.

As we pulled up in front of the house, there were no evident signs of a party or of any life. After the long drive, we got out of the car and I slowly rose up the short flight of stairs. I got to the door it swung wide open and startled me. As I trotted back up to the door I was greeted by two identical smiling faces, Evan and Kevin. As we walked through the awkwardly large doorway into the poorly lit house, my nostrils were greeted with a strong scent of blood. After their mother was finished explaining the situation, we were informed that they had sent out no such letter to anybody, but that I was welcome to stay for a week if I liked. Of course my mum agreed to having a week off without having to take care of me, I didn’t mind though, the twins were my friends and we had a lot in common.

After chatting, playing the playstation and eating dinner, we all went to bed. During the night, I was woken by various eerie sounds like the creaking floorboards or something heavy being dragged across the floor. In the morning the strong scent of blood was more eminent than before but I decided to ignore it, eventually I totally forgot about it and all the sounds during the night, everything was fine until the next morning, where I found a note at the foot of my bed reading “lets go play hide and seek, I found a good spot” instantly I went to show the twins mother but she was nowhere to be found and the twins were absolutely unshaken about the incident. The next day I could not find the twins, but yet another letter at the foot of the bed,”Do you give up?”. I decided to call the police and get everything sorted out, after a day or so, the police had informed me that they found the mothers dead body in a locked closet in the mothers bedroom. Feeling ill about the incident, I walk out of the house with jelly legs and as I was half way down the road, standing right in front of me, wearing bloodied shirts and holding a letter with the bold letters “Do you want to play again?” were the twins, Evan and Kevin.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!