The Chase Is On

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

"Wow, this bush goes on forever." I grumbled unpleasantly, "Oh come on, it's beautiful," my mum told me "but I guess 15 year old's are grumpy about everything." She mumbled under her breath.
The bush was beautiful I had to admit, but it was so long, nevertheless it had a beautiful array of native and exotic plants, Overpowering trees waving gracefully with the wind over the top of small creeks were animals large and small would gather around to have a drink of fresh spring water.
I was looking down a steep hill at a silver glisten somewhat like metal, I started to walk away before I took a fumbled step sending me down the hill at amazing speeds, spiky and thorny plants pricked me as I fell along with rocks uncomfortably jamming into my limbs.
It continued on for a while before I crashed down at the bottom of the hill. I desperately looked back up seeing absolutely nothing but infinite bush-lands.
Suddenly a voice came from behind me saying "Smith, you're coming with us." I sprinted as fast as I could away from them, my legs were burning like a fiery inferno.
I ducked and weaved everything nature could throw at me, my stick was still firmly gripped in my hand that I had been whittling for the past few hours, it was as sharp as a knife, *BANG* I heard the last thing I would ever want to hear, gun shots, being fired at me!
Trees were falling and rocks were tumbling, surely I would've been shot if they were shooting at me, but they weren't, there was a large tree up ahead that was so old it looked as if it were going to break down, crushing anyone under it, that's what they were shooting at I couldn't take it any longer.
The tree started falling and I forced my legs to go faster, it was about 10 meters away from me and 15 meters away from the ground.
I made it to the other side but I didn't know I was standing on a thin fragile cliff and then the land started sloping with me holding on to a small but sturdy plant, I looked up, only to see a man pointing his gun at my hand but I couldn't let go, what do I do? He shot me in the hand creating a bloody mess. The agonizing pain stood out among anything I could experience in my life and I was falling, but everything around me seemed, slow, very slow and I was feeling... dizzy, the land started whirling and spinning and looping around, till I couldn't keep my eyes open for any longer.
"He's coming back," the man said "I know it." They ran away then disappeared.
I woke up sinking to the bottom of a rapid river about to push me across a wide and vast ocean, but just as I was thinking that I realized I was running out of breath. Desperately needing air I took it upon myself to get back to the surface, but how could I if I couldn't breathe in?
Swimming awkwardly and desperately, the bright light of the sun shone down to the glistening light blue colour of the water, I was close but drowning.
I burst free from the struggling depths of the water to find a place on the shore where I could rest.
I'm determined to get back home now...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!