A Good Citizen

Excellence Award in the 'Top Secret 2016' competition

The sound of metal wheels echoed in the tunnel as Teagan sat on the seat of the Melo city train. She glanced up from the newspaper she was reading to see a tall man walk in with a sticky liquid down his shirt. She looked back at the article about drunk driving causing injuries and severe brain damage. The loudspeaker boomed the next stop and Teagan eagerly stood up in front of the glass door. It slid open and she rushed out, clutching her bag so it wouldn’t fall on the tracks. She walked over to the busy streets, cars darting back and forth. She stepped out onto the warm tar road. A flashy red car zoomed towards Teagan. The pitching screech filled the streets as the car collided with her. Everything went black.
James’s perspective:
James Silvers strutted out of the sliding glass doors of his office. He walked over to the bakery. The smell of fresh bread filled the room. He paid $2.50 for an apple pie and walked out. He sat on a community bench and looked at the view of the glistening river. A bicycle rode past quickly and accidently nudged James’s hand and the apple pie spilt all over his tie. He walked over to the river, cupped his hand and tried to wash his tie. The honk of a nearby train alerted him and he walked to the station. He boarded the train and stood in front of a fair skinned mid 20’s girl. Her blue eyes shone in the light. She looked up at him from the newspaper and immediately looked at his tie. Her gaze looked back at the paper before she got off at the first entrance and he got out at the second. He checked his phone and dropped it on the ragged path when he heard a shrieking high pitched screech. He looked up and saw the same girl he had seen in the train under a red car bleeding badly. He rushed up to her and dragged her out and yelled for someone to call the ambulance. He gently laid her down and opened the front door of the car and looked at the driver. He was laughing and pushed James aside. James carried her up onto the ambulance bed and came along.
4 months later:
The spotlights circled the stadium as the crowd cheered the President. “Today, I have the great privilege to award a special person the citizen award for services to the community!” He spoke into the microphone. He held a wooden shield with a golden engraving on it. Around his arms were medals that shone brightly. “I would like to present this award to JAMES SILVERS!!!”
The audience screamed with delight as James stood on the stage receiving his award from the President, flashes of cameras blinded him. As he walked off the stage, he caught sight of the smiling face of the girl. ”Good job,” Teagan said softly.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!