The First Swim Of Summer

The sun glistened on the clear blue water as it slowly made its way down stream. It was the first swim of summer and the lush, green trees had concealed the pier we had found to go for a nice swim. Splash! The water was cold and icy as it touched my pale skin.
“Are you coming in James,” I yelled.
“I’m not up for it today Lily, something isn’t feeling right,” he replied.
I didn’t ask what was wrong because everything we did was James’s decision, and today I got to do something I liked for once. I continued to swim and make as much noise as I pleased.

“You should be getting out of the water soon, there might be creatures lurking,” warned James. I didn’t really listen to what he was saying, ten more minutes wouldn’t hurt, I thought to myself.

“I feel like we aren’t alone Lily,” said James.
He sounded concerned but I honestly thought he wanted me out of the water so we could go home. “It’s all in your head,” I screamed and went underwater.

“Gator, get out its coming,” screamed James.
I gave him the dirtiest look I have ever given someone. He still continued to yell. At this moment in time I turned and felt a strong tug at my arm.

I was struggling to breathe, as the black shadow pulled me further underwater. I felt like giving up, but I needed to survive for my family and for James. The alligator was thrusting back and forth with its jaws locked in my arm. I then felt a sharp penetration go though my skin. I kicked it with all the strength left in my body. It let go, surprisingly.
I broke the surface, my body was out of air and I felt like passing out. I stared up and my look of despair meets James’s eyes.

“Help me,” I pleaded.
“I’ve called the ambulance, and I’m going to go get help,” he screamed.
I then saw a small figure run off into the distance. My glimpse of hope was gone, once I realized that James’s wasn’t coming back.

The water still surrounded me so; I paddled as quickly as I could to the closest bank. I stumbled up onto the grass, blood oozed out all over the ground. The pain throbbing from my shoulder made me come to my senses that I could possibly bleed to death. I stared up at the sky holding what’s left of my arm real tight. I then see it, cobwebs. My heart skipped a beat as I grasped the cobwebs and wrapped it around my arm. I saw in a documentary that applying cobwebs to a wound disinfects it and reduces blood loss. I sat back down and blackness slowly filled my eyes.

I woke up in an unusual bed. The smell of hospital lingered around me.
“Everything’s going to be alright Lily,” a familiar voice muttered.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!