Learning The Hard Way

Learning the hard way
By Nathan Comley
“I found it!”
The perfect suit for tonights pro rugby selections.It was a no brainer, even though the price was high I bought it.It had diamond cufflinks and much more special features. I payed eight thousand. I looked like a million dollars and was anxiously waiting for the taxi to arrive.

The Taxi finally arrived at my home. He picked up me and my girlfriend Kay. She came with me given that it was Valentines Day.

We arrived at the stadium where the selections was being held.Kay walked over to her seat near the back, I walked over to the players seats at the front. I looked up and saw all the managers from every team.I was really hoping to get picked by the Natal Sharks. I looked down the isle and stared right in the face of my old enemy JP Pitterson. He stared me down but I didn't think too much about it.

It was already the 10th pick of the first round.I was getting a bit nervous.

The other player next to me said “ Hey Luke Watson, I thought you would of been picked by know, maybe it’s the beard putting them off.”

I laughed, “Yeah, I thought I would of been picked by know, maybe next round.”

I tried to hide my emotions and play it off as it was nothing but inside I was anxious and terrified about not getting chosen.

I asked myself “ How, I was voted as the best player in college, why are they not choosing me.”

I started reflecting on my life as a college rugby player. I thought about all the things I have done, fighting, foul play, arguing and much more. I gained myself a really bad reputation over the years. I started thinking that the reason they haven't picked me yet was because of my negative past on the rugby field.

Round one of the selections came to a close and there was a short break before the second and final round of the selections. Me and Kay walked over to the table to get us a drink.

I said to Kay, “ I don't think they can see that I have matured since college.”

She replied “ Don't worry. It will be fine.”

Shortly after I was approached by JP at the table.He was already selected by the Stormers and was even more big headed.

JP said “ Ha, not even chosen in the first round. Just hope they haven't looked at your red card record.”
I didn't reply. I went back to my seat as the final round was just about to start. I thought to myself maybe they did look at my records. I started regretting every thing I have done on the field.

Before I knew it, it was already the final pick. The manager from the Sharks stepped up to the platform.
He said “The final pick goes to Luke...Swartz.”

I was gutted. I couldn't believe I was not chosen. The selections was over. I walked over to the manager.

I asked him “ How did you not pick me!”

He replied “ We don't have room for immature players like you on our team.”

I replied “ You don't understand I have matured.”

He walked off. I was gutted. I have learned that day not to do anything I will regret. I couldn't believe I was not chosen.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!