New Life, New Hope

The Beginning…
How do you think that humans began? Were we monkeys or did we just appear out of thin air. But if you read on you will see the truth. Once and for all.
“Go. Now.” I looked up into the face of a familiar face. Even the dark couldn’t hide the beauty of her crystal blue eyes. But, now it was filled with dreaded fear. My mum kissed my forehead and pulled me into a hug. “I love you, always. Now go. Don’t come back.” I looked up, tears streaming down my face. “I love you too.” I turned and ran. Away from my family, my home and everything I had. Then the worst came.
A Gunshot. I woke up to the spray of sea water. The waves crashed on the side of the boat. Up ahead I saw a storm racing towards me.Then I blacked out.
“Get more buckets!” The men were rapidly trying to get the water out of the boat. Bright flashes of lightning lit up the night. The sea rippled at the sudden bolts of lightning. The sound of thunder rumbled across the ocean.
Then to everyone’s shock, a bolt of lightning landed right in the middle of the boat. The boat cracked, then split. Another hit the boat, and then the boat gave way and collapsed.
“Help! Help! Everyone was shouting but no-one responded. My arms flailing at my side, I tried to pull myself above the water, unsuccessfully.
‘I’m sinking!’ I thought. ‘Help me, anyone.’ About to give up, I moved my arm and felt a plank of wood. With little energy, but determination, I grasped the plank and heaved myself onto it.
I had no accurate track of time, but I guessed I was there for possibly two days; drifting. I was starving. My eyes were drooping. ‘If I sleep, I could die peacefully.’ I thought Giving up hope, I peeled an arm off the plank.
There was a flash of light, followed by voices. “Help! I’m here!” I saw a huge ship with a red flag, white stars and a red and blue cross. I got closer, and people pulled me up. On deck, I saw a sign saying, ‘Australian Royal Navy.’ This is my new life. I’m safe, I’m free, and I’m Australian.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!