We All Die Someday

A shadowed figure hid in the alleyway. A young man walked down the path,oblivious to the world around him. The figure observed the young man,wondering how this seemingly ordinary man cheated millions out of his client.The man seemed to blend with the shadows, hidden from sight. The figure checked if there was going to be any witnesses, and then left the safety of darkness, his trusty Beretta in hand. He then seemed to just appear next to the target and his finger tightened on the trigger.

The man in the hat looked around the clean footpath. No evidence, no witnesses. Better than last time I guess. He promptly strode into a nearby alley and muttered something inaudible, and then the shadows swallowed him. A little child saw the man, but their mother told them they should watch less television.

The ashen spirit handed him over the money.
“Thank you... Cain?” Cain nodded,and then she faded to smoke.
“The supernatural, always making dramatic exits and entrances..” Just as he turned to exit, another spirit showed up. He looked familiar, but he just couldn’t put his finger on it.
“I have a job at would pay well. You need to kill yourself.”

"Excuse me?” Cain seemed neither surprised or confused. His face remained expressionless. “I’m sorry, I cannot complete your request. The money obviously doesn't matter now.” The ghost’s smile turned crooked. “ Oh don’t you realise? You’ve done that a long time ago.”

Cain’s eyes narrowed.
“Invisible ink? I thought you would’ve been more original.” The ghost’s maniacal grin only grew wider.
“But you see, boy, that the oldest tricks work the best. You should’ve know better that contracts don’t mean well.” Cain's voice wavered. “I thought taking my family was enough. Watching everyone I love pass away as I outlive them. “He closed his eyes. “Was that not enough? The ghost bounced around happily at his suffering, laughing a horrible laugh. A laugh devoid of sanity, the laugh of someone long gone.
“No one lives forever. We all die sometime.”
The room turned cold.
“AND YOUR TIME HAS COME.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!