A Cold, Rainy Day

The sky was dull and grey as the clouds thundered with lightning. It was horrendously loud that the war brewing above could last days, weeks, maybe years if that was possible. Most people would complain about the ear-piecing thunder or the heavy drops of rain pouring down on Earth, but one particular person was delighted that it was raining. And that person was called Alice Montgomery.

Alice Montgomery was quiet and extremely introverted. Her only friend was called Roselle that came to her house one Sunday Morning and it became a weekly thing ever since.

When Alice is at school, she would escape to the library every break time. Most people at her school would ignore her or mock her in the meanest ways possible like,

“ Loser Bookworm!” They would say, but every time, she would ignore them all and focus on the task at hand.

Alice had no friends there, but she didn't mind. She actually likes being lonely; makes sneaking around a lot more easier than people who have a ton of friends.

At home, her family would ignore Alice and pretend like she never existed in the first place. She's used to it by now as her sister, Alison usually gets all the praise and attention from their parents; their favourite child they would call her.

Alice always tried to catch her parent's attention until the age of 7, that was when she'd overheard her parents one late evening that they wished Alice was never born and that Alison should've won the National Spelling Bee in London that was held a week ago.

As Alice grew up, she started to like being invisible; being able to sneak around without anyone noticing or spying on people when they weren't looking late at night as that is the time everyone does stupid things since nobody is usually awake at 12 or 1 in the morning.

*****

As the rain trickled down the window pane, Alice kept thinking what would happen if she was never alive to begin with or if her parents would actually acknowledge her if she was an only child. She kept thinking of what if's and slowly drifted off into her own land where mythical creatures existed and everyone lived happily and joyfully.

'If only I had magic, I would—'

Alice instantly snapped out of her dreamland as her sister shouted,

" Dinner's Ready!"

" I'll eat in my bedroom!" She shouted back with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

When there was no reply, Alice assumed that the answer was yes.

After 15 minutes of gazing outside her bedroom window, she decided to think of something.

Alice started to conjure a plan to retaliate against all the people that wronged, bullied or teased her. As the time quickly passed away, Alice had planned most of what she was going to do to her fellow peers.

' Why not recruit Roselle?' She thought as she started to smirk evilly.

And that's how the game began...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!