Tell Me Winter

Winter: Aggressive and independent nature, one with big ambitions.Restless and seldom satisfied, one who is always seeking something new.

I am not brave or bold, I sit alone in class. I'm too scared to try anything new, afraid that it would change me. I am Winter.
"Okay class we have a new student today!" exclaimed Ms Riley.
I looked up from the window, a dark haired boy stood smiling wide, his eyes twinkling. Isn't he nervous?
" Please welcome Asher Gray, Asher you can sit in front of Winter," continued the teacher.
I raised my hand, he smiled and moved towards the seat in front of me. He turned around and an enthusiastic,
"Hey"
I nodded in return, not used to someone talking to me. Never in my dreams would I have predicted my life would change.
Asher always greeted me with a bright smile and greeting, I never said much.
"Why do you even bother talking to Winter, she doesn't even say much," remarked my classmates.
"She always eats alone, sits alone and just stares out the window. She is as cold as Winter," they continued.
That will probably get him to stay away, after all I am exactly as they say.
" I don't believe Winter is like that, I think she is just misunderstood and scared to befriend you guys," Asher replied softly.
" I think she is scared that something bad might happen causing her to change, am I right Winter?" grinned Asher.
He may have been the first person to figure it out. After the school bell rang I ran out, trying to catch up to Asher.
"Thanks for sticking up for me," I began.
"It's no problem," he replied.
"The thing is I wasn't always alone, I had a supportive mother and a loving father, friends from school. Life was great even though I was kind of quiet when I was younger, but an accident changed my life," I stammered.
"My mother died in a car crash on a rainy day, I was so tired that morning I forgot to tell her to be safe. I locked myself in my room and didn't come out, until I felt secure," I cried.
" I never want to feel like that ever again,".
I hadn't realised but we were walking towards the station the whole time. Suddenly a child was walking across the road, a truck was coming near. I rushed forward and pushed the child away. Something hard hit my side and the sky turned dark.
"There are many people in the world who care about you. You are not alone!" screamed a voice.
I shielded my eyes from the bright light, I was in a white room, machines connected to my body. My dad was holding my hand, I grabbed his. He started to cry, but went out and soon went out. Suddenly a whole group of people came in classmates, old friends, family, even Asher.
"Tell me Winter, are you alone?" asked Asher.
"No," I replied.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!