Old Friends

As Coincidence walked down a cobblestone lane, she couldn't help but wonder who she would run into. It was a cloudy day with a chance of rain. Her black dress swayed at her ankles and she carried a parasol. Her hair carefully braided under a lopsided beret and an airy smile to match her carefree aura. With the thought of who she would run into on her ever wondering mind, she slowly listed the possibilities. Would it be an old friend? An old enemy? Perhaps just an acquaintance.
Or maybe a family member. She, Coincidence, was known for her name.
Coincidence. A remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection. She walked with the lovely thought down the lane.
Fate also walked down the lane. Fate noted that the sky was grey and the threat of rain loomed over his head. Well, it must have been Fate that on that day he had remembered his coat. Fate walked with his shoulders back and a knowing smile on his face. He had worn his grey pants with his best shirt and red suspenders. His brightest red suspenders. On his head a small top hat and in his mouth a long pipe. What oh what will happen on this cloudy day? Who would Fate run into?
An old friend? Perhaps a new friend? An old enemy? Or perhaps just an acquaintance? Fate was also known for his name. Fate. The development of events outside of a person's control as predetermined by a supernatural power.
With a slight bounce in his step and a small tremble of his top hat, he walked down the lane.
As they came into view of each other, Fate and Coincidence smiled. Different smiles. Coincidence's smile looked coy and quite surprised. Fate's smile was knowing and confident.
"Well, well, well. Look who we have here." Said coincidence with a smile playing on her lips at the familiar face.
"Please," Answered Fate.
"It was meant to be."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!