I Felt Black

“Absurd” my parents called me. Well it wasn’t my fault. They had been arguing for weeks now, and my pillow was stained with tears. It started when I heard, “I want a divorce!”
I went downstairs; each stair creaking under the tension, my mum was shivering from head to toe. She looked up at me, saying “what?”
My dad gulped and he said “I want a divorce”.
Looking down, mum replied with “Fine we can sign the papers this weekend.”
I know my mum didn’t want to, neither did dad, but they knew…
2 Months Later.
Today I found a bag of powder under my mum’s pillow. I wondered what it was so I went to the computer and searched the internet. I was shocked at what I had seen, some of it terrified me. I opened my mum’s bedside cabinet and I saw bottles of liquid. I ran downstairs and cried. I could feel the wet cold tears dripping of my face like sad drops of rain down a window pane.
I ran, ran and ran. I could hear the waves crashing onto the rocks on the shore of the beach, I could smell the salty water and I could feel the ground burning my feet.
I finally reached the sand of the beach and I ran down to the rocks. I felt so free, it was like nothing was inside of me. Nothing could hurt me. Everything was in slow motion. I could see the pod of Orcas swimming around and it felt like I didn’t need to breathe anymore.
I jumped, I fell at great speed. My hair blowing in my face. It felt like I was flying. Splash! I went in the water. I was floating like a seal sunbathing on its back. The sun was burning my face, but I had no reason to move.
There was no tension in my body. I could taste the salt water seeping into my mouth, bringing back memories of family holidays on the beach. I felt like I was a part of an Orca pod. My eyes blinking slower than before. My heart was calm like the ocean.
Then I realised how it felt to be a fish, just swimming down in the depths of the waters. I felt like the animals of the ocean had accepted me as one of their own kind. I could feel the Orcas rub up against my legs. I felt calm. I was at peace.
I heard dolphins, without thinking, I wrapped my hands around its fin. It gracefully swam me to a faraway island with animals. Not standard, ordinary animals, these were nature’s own. There was a pond that I drank out of. The water was crystal clear and cold. There was an apple tree. With juicy apples that would drip everywhere.
Then I realised this is where I was meant to be. My own home …

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!