My Other Half

Excellence Award in the 'Word Zone 2016' competition


At birth we are given a pendant, each pendant is different and unique and each has only one other half. If you are lucky enough, you will find your other half and your life will truly begin.
“We’ll leave tomorrow.” Says Jamie “Have you got your things packed?” “Yeah...” I reply in a husky whisper. Jamie looks me up and down with a quizzical look on his face. “What’s wrong?” he asks. Jamie is my best friend, we’ve known each other since we were four and know everything about each other. We have something special, like a special bond but I’ve never been able to figure out what it is. For years we’ve been talking about leaving our little town in Texas to go and find our other half, not many people try to do it, everyone is scared of change, scared of the world, of the unknown, but me and Jamie are determined to do it and find our other halves. “It’s just, what if we don’t succeed?” I say “What if we never find our other half and leaving all this behind was just for nothing?” “Callie...” sighs Jamie “We talked about this, we’ll be fine, everything will be alright, I’ll be with you the whole time.” “And if it’s not?” I say looking into his eyes. “And if it’s not well come right back here and start again.” He says. “You have nothing to worry about Callie now pack because well be leaving early tomorrow.” He kisses me on the forehead before he leaves the room.
“See Callie!” exclaims Jamie. “It’s beautiful here!” I look around, we finally arrived at Paris, a logical place to start in my opinion. “It’s amazing Jamie!” I say awestruck. “It’s beautiful here and so calm, just how I imagined it.” After a couple of weeks of touring we finally decided to look for our other halves. I went out every day, always before Jamie and met so many new people, but not my other half. Weeks passed and soon the weeks turned into months and I was beginning to lose hope in finding my other half so I stopped going out as much, but I also noticed that I never actually saw Jamie go out. “No Callie I don’t want to go out today.” Pleaded Jamie. “I don’t care.” I replied “I want you to have a chance to find your other half.” I said as I pushed him out the door. “Now go.” I said, pointing towards the street. He started to walk and turned around to say something, but as he did we was hit by a speeding car and fell to the ground. “Jamie!” I screamed as I ran to him, this was all my fault, I was the one who made him do this. I held him for what seemed like forever when I noticed his pendant. I pulled it out and looked at it. It was the other half to mine, Jamie was my other half.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!