Katrina

New Orleans was a wonderful place. Creative buskers filled the streets with joyful music. Colours boundless, bouncing from wall to wall. Amazing sights for the eye to see. People laughing, people chatting, people singing, people dancing everywhere. Happiness filled the lanes through New Orleans. People flocked to this destination. They flew from all around the world just for the sight of the hustle and bustle in the city. People loved this destination. Every window open. Everyone out on their balconies. The most remote city in the world. Thought to be the happiest place to live, until August 23, 2005.
People say she’s coming, and coming quick. Right around the corner they say, she's going to be a biggie. Get ready they say, even though we’re not. “The last of the groceries are done.” Mum says. “Now we just have to survive.”
She mumbles under her breath. We all know how bad it’s going to be. The others don’t, they won’t know what’s hit them. “We’re going to the neighbours for a big holiday.” Mum sighs. We get in the car and Mum looks at Dad.
“We better start moving, It’s half a day away.” Dad says.
“Let's just get home first.” Mum frets.
We get home and Bailey bolts into the house. “Pack! Pack!” he screams after hearing that we’re going on a ‘holiday’.
“Brooklyn, help Harry and Bailey pack and close all the windows.” Yells Dad.
“Sure will” I say turning back at him.
He winks at me “Use the big suitcases.” He adds.
I pack for Bailey, Harry, Georgia and I and wheel it over to the Jackson's.
Mrs Jackson answers the door and gives me a gigantic hug. “Come with me.”
she says while leading me through the house. She takes me to the elevator and presses the button with the letter ‘E’ on it. The elevator opens to a massive room with a kitchen, bathrooms, 9 different beds and 3 cradles.
“It's pretty big isn’t it” Mrs Jackson says.
“There’s room for a zoo in here.” I say in awe.
“Come, let’s put your things down.” We walk into a space bigger than the kitchen, put the suitcases down and return to the elevator.
“Not long now” I say in disappointment as we return to the ground floor.
“I’ll see you soon?” Mrs Jackson asks.
“Sure will. I’ll be back in a few minutes.” I say going out the door. I sprint home, lock everything, and shut the blinds. I pick up Georgia and take her to the car. “Bailey, Harry, come to the car!”
I hear little 2-year-old feet running. Soon two chubby faces appear in the doorway. “Broom! Broom!” Bailey says.
Harry comes with his favourite dinosaur “I’M HEREEE.” He yells. I buckle them in and close the boot. Mum locks the last door and sheds a tear. We arrive at the Jackson’s and Bailey gets out of the car.
“YAY! We here.” he yells. We get inside as the storm hits.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!