Vulnerable

Cancer is an emotional word. It can either break you down or build you up. The word itself is contagious. The pain it causes in today's society is agonising and heart breaking, it makes a life long journey and adventure turn to a harrowing nightmare.

"Giana, unfortunately you have been diagnosed with stage two lymphoma cancer". "Giana, unfortunately you have been diagnosed with stage two lymphoma cancer". Giana, unfortunately you have been diagnosed with stage two lymphoma cancer".

I thought I was dreaming for a split second, the words were repeating over and over in my mind, mum broke down and dad walked out, the way the doctor broke the bad news to us felt like an insult, an accusation of crime, it was indescribable.

As the place called home came into view, all I could think about was how I can't let them give up their lives for me, cancer has not been cured before and won't be anytime soon.
I was so focused on how I was ruining my parents life that I didn't realise dad was talking to me,
"Hollee, we need to talk about this"
The biggest lecture on how important it is to eat healthy, go for regular doctor checkups and go to my regular support group was going to be a regular thing now, I guess. "School is still the most important thing and if you want to miss a few days to get back".....
I had zoned out, I was done with all the anxious thinking and all the people that had to worry about me, I'm not a little girl, I'm 16 and I can handle it myself.

I woke up and stumbled into the bathroom , not wanting to see my reflection and what this sickness has made me. Anyone could guess I was a victim of tragedy. My long blonde hair no longer fell on my lean shoulders, as were my eyes puffy and red from scared and frustrated Tears.

School was as distressing, so I presumed. No one understood, no one cared. My so called "friends" didn't show up to the hospital or surgery, which wasn't a surprise as I could imagine they wouldn't want to come too close in case I , you know, passed on.

The feeling of vulnerability made me weaker than I actually was, the only thing worse than cancer is the feeling of being "a lost cause".

Wednesday was art class and this was the only thing that made me motivated enough to get up every Wednesday morning. Art was the only thing that took me away from this this awful planet and onto my own deserted planet, where lied no fuss and worrying about when, where or how I was going to die. Mrs Geoffrey treated me with respect and kindness like all the other students, this I was grateful for because I didn't feel like the odd kid with the "sickness".


Thursday morning I couldn't breath. It felt all the air in the world was gone from my grasp.......

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!