Echoing Bullets

It’s funny how effortlessly beautiful the sky was the night Fate’s cool breath snuffed out the lights of those shining brightest. Like the sky was in denial of what was taking place below. The shots were still ringing in my ears…
My feet stumbled over the roots of the risen giants, providing cover from the burning sky. Something skitters over the path in front of me and, only taking my eyes off the ground for a second, I go flying. Struggling to my knees, I fight to steal another breath. I can feel a huge weight pressing down on my chest and my memories threaten to drag me under. Then they do. I heave one last ragged gasp. I felt the bite of the gun in my back, the threat loud and obvious yet blatantly unspoken.
Masked men swarmed around the land, darting in and out of the house and a vast majority circling four hunched over bodies. My cheeks were already damp. This wasn’t supposed to happen. They told us it was safe.
There was no warning before the first shot was fired. A scream of denial worked its way up my throat yet stopped. I choked, coughing and spluttering. Tears burnt at my eyes being released, no longer needing permission.
Dad I remember when you held my hand and made me laugh all night, I remember when you were there for me to help me pick what’s right. I remember when you cared for me and showed me to find the light. Now I’ll remember everything because you wouldn’t give up the fight. Another bullet echoes through the air.
Mum I remember when you supported me, Taking every day as they came. I remember when you made me smile putting my tears to shame. I remember when I wasn’t well yet you stayed with me all the same. I’ll remember every second because I’ll never be the same.
Finally, what I was seeing caught up to me and my brain refused to take in the blood-stained blades of grass. Yet before I could even register that the scream coating the air was mine…
Lucy I remember when you listened, At a time when no one else would. I remember when you took it in and made me feel understood. I remember when you stood by me in a way they don’t understand, I know I won’t forget anything. Because I’ll never regret our land. My knees buckled. Sobs wracked my stunned body and I wished for death. Wished it could all end now. Because Lucy will never fall in love. Never have her first kiss. Never go on a date. Never graduate. Never get married. Never grow old. Never die happy.
An explosion from my old home took the masked murderers attention away from me for a millisecond. I don’t think. I don’t look back. I just run.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!