Unchosen

My feet stumble backwards until I crash into iron bars. They dig into my back but I refuse to stop pushing backwards. My eyes are filled with horror and fear. It’s no use. I crumple to the ground in defeat. Silent tears stream down my pale cheeks and I close my eyes wanting to shut out the scene unrolling before me. I jerk when matted fur brushes my forehead. I hear a low growl and I decide I won’t go down without some dignity. I look straight into the taunting eyes of my captor. The king of the jungle.
Lions are funny creatures. They’re usually so lazy and tame when I see them. Just like the elephants on beach balls and trapeze artists swinging across the stage, they seemed wondrous and kind. I remember Papa smiling when he saw all his hard work pay off at the circus. All the training and rehearsals. Mama used to take me around to see the animals back stage and I could look at the lions for hours just day dreaming about what it would be like to be in the cage with them.
Stupid, stupid girl. Why must I be so curious? Curiosity killed the cat, they say. Uh! Why could I not listen? However I must be given credit for finding the keys to the unforgiving cage. So when I heard the click of the lock. I swung it open and stepped into the cage. As I realised the seriousness of the situation I ran back towards the gate only to hear the slam of metal against metal in my face.
I stared into the eyes of the lion. The deep brown spots filling my vision. He was close. Close enough that before you could say “Bye Grace” he could rip me to shreds. . The lion stood back and my heart thumped as surely as he was just getting a run up. But, wait, no. He sat. Like an obedient dog. I was breathing heavily and noticed my hand wavering out in front of me. My eyes kept flickering between my outstretched arm and the lion. A softness had crept into him. I shakily stood and put one foot in front of another until I reached the beast. I squeezed my eyes shut and reached my hand towards the muzzle. I felt nothing, then… thin fur rubbing against my hand. It was like we connected somehow.
A smile came to my face. I’ve never had a human friend, since I’m home schooled. But maybe I’ll have a lion friend. And many more to come, because with this new found power I can finally embrace my love for animals. I called for Mama. It was time to head to the rhino.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!