Take My Breath Away

Looking into her peaceful eyes, I felt the indescribable feeling you can only call love. Her hand in mine, the reality of the familiar smell dancing through the wind, I developed an understanding of why throughout time, people had killed and committed foul deeds for a love like ours.
I remember ‘the’ night; it snowed the first snow of the year. Late home from work, the wind howled as if it was a whispered argument; as I stepped onto the blanketed street. The sight was inspiring. I felt I could fly if only I had the wings to do so, to the place I wanted be, in the arms of someone I loved and who loved me.
I watched their pained and cold faces. People of every age, shape and size, moving purposefully down the almost perfect white street. I noticed each determined face and I wondered, do they love as I love? Dream as I dream? Live as I live? All questions millions have asked, but none have answered.
My attention shifts to a lone woman in the middle of the path. All that is left is she and I. She buckles to her knees; I start running and catch her as she falls. In that moment falling together almost endlessly. Locked together in a tightness that will never be replicated. Landing in the snow as her widened eyes peer innocently into mine. Her hair strewn upon the snow as if it was a stain upon an almost perfect parchment. Looking down on the damsel before me, I lean in and steal a kiss from her sweet and coppery lips. As my lips depart hers, she exhales deeply, as if I have taken her breath away.
As her previously lively lips turning blue, I scrape her off the ground and continue with her to my apartment. Ascending the staircase my embrace tightens around her with each step. Reaching my apartment, I slip my key gently into the lock and smoothly turn the chamber. The gentle thud of the door opening signified we had made it- we were home. Continuing with her to my room, I gently take off her jacket and slowly wrap her in the soft embrace of an electric blanket as I turn off the light and slip gently under the covers to join her. Feeling the touch of her cold skin on mine, I wrap my arms around her waist. Comforted by my new found love, I sleep a slumber so deep few things can compare.
As I wake in the morning, I turn to see her eyes wide-open, but somewhat peaceful -looking at me, almost through me. I take her still cold hand in mine whispering my confession of adoration to her. I get no response. I slip my hands into her hair; smoother than silk. Bringing our lips together in a kiss that feels lifeless; her usual smell of musk missing, replaced by a smell of carrion.
Till death do us part?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!