Maggie


Maggie

"Ouch!" I took my hands of the old mouldy, scrubbing brush. I looked down at my dirty hands. They were red raw, with blisters the size of pebbles. "Maggie, Why aren't you scrubbing the floor?" shouted the cruel, rich woman that I work for. "I'm sorry Miss, my hands.... they are so sore" I replied, trying to soothe my stinging hands. "Oh, so your telling me you don't wan't to work here any more" retorted Mrs Reardon. "No, I mean yes, but... " I couldn't think of what to say. "Alright, you don't work for me any more then" yelled Mrs Reardon, "Get out". "Please" I begged with tears in my eyes, "I have no where else to go". She pushed me out of her posh house and into the cold night air. Ever since I was three years old I have worked for the Reardon family. I don't remember where I was before. Maybe I was with my parents? For all I know, I'm an orphan. I came to Africa with the Reardon family from England some years ago. They don't know how hard it is going to be for me now, all alone in Africa, with no job, no home and no money.
I slowly started to walk away from the Reardon house and into the bush. At least there I'd be able to start a fire to keep warm. I knew I didn't have any matches so I tried using two sticks and rubbing them together. It's definitely harder than it looks! I looked down at my red raw hands, they were so sore. I had to surrender. I didn't now what I was going to do. I wish that I belonged somewhere, other than out in the bush all alone or working for a strict English family who don't even care about me. Why do I have to be an orphan? Where are my parents?
All of a sudden I heard a loud angry roar. About ten seconds later the most scariest, largest, hairiest, angriest looking animal I have ever seen came out. It had a furry, orange, brown mane and a rather stocky body. His bulging eyes were staring at me. Does he wan't me for his dinner? My life could all end here. I. Don't. Know.....

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!