Water Wars

Boom! The noises of war surround us. The two armies are fighting, as always. This time; however, as we approach the year 2100, we’re fighting for a reason. Our homelands are suffering from a long, hard drought, and we’re fighting over the river rights to the only source of clean water anywhere around. And here we are caught up in it. WHOOOOAAGGGHH, that was close!! Just telling you, I’m sitting in a helicopter right now and we’re under attack, so there might be a bit of turbulence. Where was I, now? Ahhh, I was explaining about the armies. We are-whooagh!-fighting over who gets to drain the river between us and use it. BANG! BOOM! CRASSSSSHHHHH!! O-kayyy, I almost got blown to pieces there. As the commander, it’s my turn to attack now. Bang! Bang! Bang! The robot pilot announces, “WE ARE AT OUR DESTINATION NOW, SIR!” But...-BANG! CRASH! CREEEEEAAAKK!!! Our rotors were destroyed by enemy fire and our helicopter was going down when I blacked out.
Meanwhile, on the ground, the battle continues with Hayso in command...
“Oi, Marko, ya gonna load dat gun or what?” Inko shouted through the tank’s steel structure. “I’m doing it now, ya bonehead! It takes more dan two freckled seconds to load tank guns, ya know!!” Marko yelled back, annoyed by Inko’s attitude. “Aye, well I’m gonna start movin’, so don’t cut your toe with dat shell!” Inko screamed sarcastically. RUMBLE-RUMBLE-RUMBLE! The tank moved slow, crushing through the undergrowth. There were quite a few near misses from enemy fire. “Hey, Marko, stop fighting with Inko!” Hayso yelled from the gunner position. “Yes, sir!” they replied. But then...BOOOOM! The tank was hit by enemy fire.
Seven hours later, we regain consciousness. “Uuuurrggghh...” I groaned as I lifted my head from the wreckage. “Uurrrgghhh...” My stomach throbbed like a brick hit it-only it was a piece of a tank! “What haaappennned???” Marko moaned and then he replied: “I think we got shot, like, a real direct hit into the engine. Uuuurrggghh my head hurts and I’m dizzy...OUCH! DON’T DO THAT, INKO!!!” “OI, COSO, ARE YOU UP YET???!!!!” Inko yelled into the open. “Inko? Marko? Hayso?” yet another person shouted out to them. I immediately recognised this one as Coso’s voice. “Coso? COSO was on this trip???!!!” “Yes, sir, I’m here! Did you think that I was going to stay bored out of my mind for a whole WEEK????!!!” I had thought Coso would sleepover at his friends’ houses for the week. “How did you know where we went, anyway, Coso?” “I read the Weekly Water Wind newspaper! It notes down everyone in the battle!” Coso replied. “I read that every week to keep up with new breakthroughs!” “Uuuhhhh, guys?” Marko asked. “Does anybody notice how quiet it is around here?” We all went silent, looking at each other in shock. “The river!” we all yelled and ran towards the river. We were all sure that the battle here was finally over. But was it???

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!